Touchpad issues on the new unibody MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Spring Rubber, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Spring Rubber macrumors newbie

I just got my first Mac, a unibody MacBook, about two weeks ago, and last night as I was using it, I noticed that the touchpad feels somewhat distorted and uneven. For example, at the moment, it seemed to be indented where I use my index finger the most (towards the center and slightly left of center), and it seems to be raised more toward the right side of the touchpad. When I first took it out of the box, the touchpad seemed to actually be raised more in the bottom left, but since that was out of the way, it didn't really bother me, but now it seems like every time I use the touchpad, the bumpiness of it shifts around to different locations depending on what location on the touchpad I use most.

Is this normal, or is there some sort of defect? Since I'm away at college, I really don't have the ability to just take it in at will, nor did I purchase AppleCare since I didn't have the extra money to spend on it when I bought the MacBook.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The touchpad is glass so I doubt its dented. Do you know anyone at campus with a unibody? If so compare it to theirs and ask their opinion.

3. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

You have a 1 yr warranty anyway, so you're covered if it is a defect.

4. Spring Rubber thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I certainly hope it's going to be all right since I really don't want to have to give it up now that I've settled in to it with all of my files and programs on it. :p

Hmmm...can't think of anyone who has a unibody off hand, but it just feels really weird just to the left of center; it feels lower down. Like if I go to do the four-finger gestures, if I put my index finger there, it'll feel lower then the rest of my fingers. If I put my middle finger there, then it will feel lower than the rest of my fingers.

5. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Definitely sounds weird. Mine feels totally flat. Just back all your stuff up to an external drive with Time Machine before taking it in.

6. Spring Rubber thread starter macrumors newbie

That's kind of a shame that I'll have to take it in when it's only 2 weeks old. Heck, I'm not even sure when I'll have time to do it...maybe not until June when I get out of college. I hate having to wait so long. :(

7. Spring Rubber thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'll take it to a genius bar when I come back home for a short break at the end of the month. I wonder if they'll turn me away because it's "not that big of a deal". It still feels kind of annoying when I use it, though. Luckily I use an external mouse when I'm at my desk anyway. :\

8. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Trust me, there has been a far more bigger 'not that big of a deal' with me when I wanted my broken 'o' key fixed 5 months out of warranty, and I took it to an apple store which was not the one I bought it from, but they fixed it for me anyways :)

So I am sure with you being in warranty, and the supposed dented trackpad, at the apple store YOU bought it from, they wouldn't turn you away....although I am pretty sure apple stores generally wouldn't be that rude to there customers :)