Touchpad oddity - or is it normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Marconelly, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

I got 11" MBA today. I'm happy with it, but there's something that bugs me. The very top of the trackpad (approx 1cm or slightly less) does not register move up/down motion and taps at all. Is this normal? I can scroll left/right on top of the trackpad and that registers fine, but when I try moving finger up or down there, the pointer stays still. Taps also don't register there at all. Should I be returning this to the store for a replacement, or is this simply how it is with these glass trackpads?

2. M87 macrumors 65816

I never noticed until now, but it seems there is some variation in what works on the very edges of the trackpad. The bottom doesn't respond to moving left or right, but does work with two finger secondary click. The sides will let me move the cursor up and down, but won't respond to a two finger secondary click.

3. ender21 macrumors 6502

In messing around with mine, it seems as though the very top is where the "click" pivots, so not being able to click would make sense there. Just for grins I switched the trackpad to "Tap to click" and it too wouldn't register that close to the top. Go figure.

4. Marconelly thread starter macrumors 6502

Marconelly

OK, I guess this is just normal behavior then. I know the bottom is acting a bit different than the rest of the pad, as indicated by post above, but that makes sense as the bottom of the trackpad is where you can rest your finger constantly to use it as a mouse button. The top has its own quirks also it seems, for some reason, but none of this was the case on old non-glass MBA trackpad.

Can you also do the pointer moving test if you don't mind? Try flicking your finger from the very top of the pad, just a bit towards down, repeatedly, and see if the pointer is moving at all.

5. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

I think what you are describing is the way the trackpads designed to ignore accidental inputs whilst typing etc

eg my trackpad behaves the same, however if i track out with finger from centre to top 1cm it then registers up/down movement. almost certain this is so you dont move cursor by accident when hitting space.

6. Marconelly thread starter macrumors 6502

Marconelly

Yep! Makes perfect sense, and it behaves identically on mine, so I guess nothing is broken.