Touchpad problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Clannad5000, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Clannad5000 macrumors newbie

So, my touchpad isn't working on a glass desk that I just bought. The cursor is almost impossible to move, no matter how hard I try. But then, right when I put it on my lap or a wooden desk or even a couch, it works just fine. Is there a reason for this? What should I do? Sorry, I'm still new to Macbooks.

2. simsaladimbamba

You mean, the trackpad on the top of your MacBook, slightly below the keyboard (pictured below) is not working, when the MacBook (which exact model btw?*) is placed on a glass surface, though the trackpad is not even touching the glass surface?
    Or do you mean a mouse (Magic Mouse) or the external trackpad (Magic Trackpad)?
    [​IMG]

3. Clannad5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a Macbook Pro 11. That's as much as I know. But, the problem is, when I set the laptop on the glass desk, the cursor won't move. But, when I set it on my lap or anything else, it's working fine.

4. simsaladimbamba

You can identify your Mac via the steps I have shown you, though if you use Lion, you click on System Report to get to the "Model Identifier". I guess you have a MacBook Pro purchased in 2011, and you have problems with your actual trackpad (you didn't really confirm or deny it) while the MBP is located on a glass surface.
    Either you contact Apple and make an appointment with the Genius Bar or ... I don't know really, as that is one of the strangest problems I have seen in a while, as the trackpad can't sense a glass surface on its bottom.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Just to confirm again: We are talking about the built in touchpad that sits below the keyboard on the laptop, right? The thing that is shown in the image shown above in Simsas post?

Can you post a picture of the glass desk and it's surroundings?

Have you tried moving the desk to a different location?

What happens if you connect or disconnect it from the charger?

The touchpad on the mac is capacitive - it might react to some very strong electric or magnetic field, e.g. from a nearby speaker or a bad power outlet... although I can't really imagine this being the reason.