touchpad 'sticks' as if depressed, but isn't

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Avery1, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Avery1 macrumors member

I have a mid-2009 13" MBP, and am experiencing an issue with the touchpad.

Although it does not appear to be physically sticking (i.e. it rebounds/clicks upon release), when I move the mouse, it attempts to highlight everything as if it is depressed. Or, let's say I clicked an application in the dock... now the alias tries to drag off the dock when I move the pointer. I have to tap it hard for this to release, and then it tends to start again after a few more mousing moves.

I experienced this maybe 6 months ago, but the issue went away after I tapped it hard a few times.

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

2. AdhamL macrumors newbie

Take a look at the battery - I had the same issue with my MBP and had also noticed that the battery compartment wasn't closing snugly anymore. Took it into the nearest Genius Bar, where they told me that the batteries used will eventually swell over time and cause this problem. Fortunately I was covered under Apple Care and got a new battery free of charge, which fixed the problem completely.

3. Avery1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your response.

I had read a few threads, where the trackpad was physically not returning to the original position due to the battery -- but didn't see it reported when it was physically working as expected.

To clarify, in your case the track pad seemed to click (down and up) fine, but the cursor behaved as if the pad had still been depressed?

4. AdhamL macrumors newbie

Sometimes the trackpad would click normally, sometimes not. It often depended on how long the machine had been running and how hot it had gotten. Good luck getting it resolved.

5. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

This happened to me on my mbp. I turned it off and back on and it was fine

6. Avery1 thread starter macrumors member