Touchscreen iMac G3 adventures

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by coder12, Jun 25, 2012.

1. coder12 macrumors 6502a

coder12

I've had a touchscreen iMac G3 for about 5 years now, but I've only recently gotten it working in a good condition.

I'll explain.

It was a dark, stormy, night in my hometown. Lightning blazed across the sky, and one of those lightning bolts just so happened to strike my friend's iMac G3 (with an Elo iTouch 2600 built in). The machine was running OS 9, had no FireWire ports on it, and wouldn't play any audio unless it was put into sleep mode.
    The family that had it figured the machine was pretty much toast, and I was fortunate enough to receive it.
    The G3 then sat in my shed for a few years after some mild use, and after getting done with my first year of college, I had an urge to fix it.

I received a few iMacs marked as 'For Parts' from a donor, and I downloaded the Apple Repair guides. Now I've disassembled a few of these machines in my days, they have some of the most beautiful insides I've ever seen, and you know what? They make one heck of an aquarium. But I'd never actually repaired a machine until last week.
    Long story short: I ended up getting the machine working (with an upgraded 450mhz processor!) and updated to 10.4.11.

My current plan for the machine is to build a PhotoBooth out of spare code and parts I have lying around, unless any of you have a better idea for this machine's fate? :)

2. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

What's the exact model? The later iMacs are a lot better than the early ones. They're pretty decent as servers, if it has a big enough HDD.