Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrancoRumors

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
I thought I was having typing issues on my X due still being used to my 7+.. as time goes on I notice that my finger touches are not being recognized frequently (anywhere on the screen but I notice it most when typing)

My space bar misses about 20% of the time.

I’m not sure where to start to try and trouble shoot this issue. I can’t discern any pattern or conditions that are causing it... sometimes the touchscreen works flawlessly and other times not.

Another specific example: when I press on one spot to bring up the magnifying glass it seems to take longer than normal to appear.

Any ideas will be appreciated. My closest Apple store is a solid hour.

PS - I am using a screen protector. It’s an IQ shield that was purchased off amazon. 600 reviews. 4+ stars - Anyone had any issues with a screen protector messing up the touch???

Last edited:

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
I am also experiencing touch issue, but I think it’s because I am accidentally touching the screen in 2 places at once due to edge to edge design and how I hold the phone.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
I thought I was having typing issues on my X due still being used to my 7+.. as time goes on I notice that my finger touches are not being recognized frequently (anywhere on the screen but I notice it most when typing)

My space bar misses about 20% of the time.

I’m not sure where to start to try and trouble shoot this issue. I can’t discern any pattern or conditions that are causing it... sometimes the touchscreen works flawlessly and other times not.

Another specific example: when I press on one spot to bring up the magnifying glass it seems to take longer than normal to appear.

Any ideas will be appreciated. My closest Apple store is a solid hour.

PS - I am using a screen protector. It’s an IQ shield that was purchased off amazon. 600 reviews. 4+ stars - Anyone had any issues with a screen protector messing up the touch???

Used maxboost screen protectors and lost sensitivity. Using anker now and much better.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Used maxboost screen protectors and lost sensitivity. Using anker now and much better.
I was using a thick cheap one and switched to a thinner iCarez one and definitely the weird sorts of problems reported on this thread stopped for me. Nobody else has said if they’re using screen protectors but that’s a good place to start troubleshooting.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
8CB8EA61-D18E-427D-AE91-E6B4CBAFC13D.png
6919536E-DD5D-4D96-96EE-5E669DBDA9A0.jpeg
I was using a thick cheap one and switched to a thinner iCarez one and definitely the weird sorts of problems reported on this thread stopped for me. Nobody else has said if they’re using screen protectors but that’s a good place to start troubleshooting.

I thought all the screen protectors are the same. I’m clearly wrong. There was several problems with the maxboost. The oleophobic layer was terrible and uneven, parts of the glass felt gritty and not smooth. The cut is too narrow so you see rainbow on the sides. Anker is about 1mm over the screen edge, so all rainbows gone. And lastly, maxboost says 25 mm thickness which I highly doubt, most likely twice that. The loss of sensitivity was surprising. Never had issues before but with maxboost, the screen wouldn’t scroll properly or erratically unless I put a little more pressure. Like the previous poster, some keys wouldn’t register until I tried a few times. Don’t cheap out on screen protectors, there is a difference. You get exactly what you paid for.

Love the new anker karapax protecters. Came with a template and made install so easy. The glass is much more smoother and responsive. Also the anker is very glossy so it really gives the phone a new shiny look like the original. The older one I had with the 6s plus had taper edges, too bad it’s not on the new ones. Oh well. I ended up spending twice as much cheaping out then having to buy a new set and redoing everything. Don’t make that mistake. Your $1000 phone deserves better.

Pics of anker screen protector and pic of maxboost screen protector with oleophobic defect. I rubbed it with a wet tissue and the flaw became clear as day.

Last edited:

FrancoRumors

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
So... I took off the screen protector.

It seems to be the problem. I’m surprised because the reviews on Amazon are very positive.

Thanks for input everyone. I’ll search the other threads for a screen protector replacement.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
I picked up my new SIM Free X and it was fine then suddenly swiping mail was non responding if at all. I turned it off then back on and it went away. Not sure what the issue was but it went away.

Reactions: MacGurl111

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
California
Same issue here. First I thought it was my screen protector. Purchased another one to see.. still have the same issue.
Using iPhone X
[doublepost=1512865136][/doublepost]
I picked up my new SIM Free X and it was fine then suddenly swiping mail was non responding if at all. I turned it off then back on and it went away. Not sure what the issue was but it went away.
Going to try this and hope it works. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.