Touchscreen OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mirddes, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Mirddes macrumors newbie

I keep trying to click links by touching my screen. I've never used an apple idevice. Just some droid4 lots recently. Seems like a no brainer to add touchscreens to every apple product, just don't tell anyone.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Most Apple products already have touchscreens. (iPhones, iPads, iPods)
    But AFAIK, OS X does not have any software support for touch screens (yet)
    That could change, I suppose, and I imagine that Apple has some development in progress for that.
    Touch screens in OS X may be implemented at some point, but only Apple knows.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

There have been a number of threads about touchscreen for osx devices, but they all say not practical.

5. Mirddes thread starter macrumors newbie

Self limiters say what they don't want isn't possible

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think that the word used is "practical", as in Not Practical.
    That's not quite the same as Not Possible.
    If you want a touch screen, then that's OK - Apple sells an iPad that does that very well, thank you!

Some Windows PCs have touch screens, of course. That doesn't mean it's an effective, or even useful interface for a desktop computer.
    As mentioned, there's already a lot of threads here, discussing the pros and cons of using a touch screen.

7. Mirddes thread starter macrumors newbie

While It might not be the most effective interface for a desktop or laptop, It certainly is a very useful supplemental interface.

I don't care what apple currently sells. One day soon they will sell touchscreen enabled desktops and laptops. Though they might do some touchless gestures, I'm confident they will adopt touchscreens across their entire product line by the end of the decade.

8. Mirddes thread starter macrumors newbie

9. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

I don't care for touchscreen on my desktop computer, but I'm sure it will come one day.

Touchscreen isn't very useful for typing a document on a desktop or using photoshop etc.... and unless you are standing up or placing your screen flat on the table tab (highly not recommended) then it is a very poor ergonomics and asking for shoulder pain etc.

In the meantime I would much rather the focus be on improving hardware, the operating system and apps (Aperture replacement etc). Also I wouldn't mind fingerprint reader instead of password.

10. Mirddes thread starter macrumors newbie

In what world does a laptop or desktop lack a keyboard?

My laptop often rests on my crotch, stomach or chest. Touching the screen is natural. After using mobile devices it almost becomes second nature to press ok with your finger instead of the mouse.

Don't want touchscreen? Don't touch your screen.
    Just please don't let your nay saying hold back progress.

While you might be horrified at the positions I put my body in, I expect technology to keep up.

Software needs to be improved across the board on all platforms. Hardware, not so much.

11. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

I'm not a nay sayer.... Personally I have no desire for touchscreen on a desktop computer, but as I said before I'm sure it will be implemented and I'm sure many will find it useful... I'm not holding back progress, I just don't personally need or want this feature as much as you do. I'm all for innovation and progress.

12. Mirddes thread starter macrumors newbie

My phone has a keyboard ;)
    To be honest my desktop too will likely never have a touchscreen.
    Pretty much all laptops will one day.
    I can definitely click multiple times much faster than I can touch multiple time (WITH PRECISION)

This technocracy is not all its hyped up to be.

13. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

We use OS X with many touch screens in our research labs where I work, works well with our in house applications.
    Elo Touch Solutions provides excellent driver packages for OS X.