Touchstone charge for touchpad is so cool

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nanotlj, Aug 23, 2011.

1. nanotlj macrumors regular

Only wish next version iPad can get implement similar technology.
    Touchpad is good too with webOS. It is a shame that hp abandon touchpad.

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

Apple has a few wireless charging patents. i don't think they will make it to the next version but maybe the one after.

3. ehoez macrumors member

induction chargers are ineffective, and waste power.

but are cool looking, and easy to use..

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If they are easy to use, and actually charge the tablet, then they are also effective. They may not be energy efficient, but I'll need to see proof of a global energy crisis to worry about it. My rooftop solar panels provide enough power to keep my devices happy. :D

5. brettatk macrumors regular

Picked one up yesterday at OD for $40. Walmart was selling them for $35. Some people are waiting for the price to drop even lower but I don't think they'll be around that long. Anywhere that has dropped them in the $35-$40 price range has quickly sold out with little hope of getting any more in stock.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

picked on up at bestbuy for $40 this morning they had 6 touchpads come in and 2 touchstones. I missed out on the Touchpad by one so the Touchstone was a consolation prize. my touchpad should be here today according to tracking. I was looking to buy a 2nd for my daughter.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

The Touchstones are fantastic. So since Apple is already cutting the cord on sync then I hope they also cut the cord on charging.

Best Buy had the 20% off accessories when you buy 4 promo. I hope you got in on that one.

Anyway, I was only looking for the case but I picked up Touchstone, Case, Keyboard at Staples for $70 total by price matching Office Depot and using the Office Max $10 off $40 coupon (twice). I have no use for the keyboard but maybe it will work for the iPad.

8. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

How exactly does wireless charging work? I ordered a Touchstone from Best Buy "ship to store" so I'll have it in a few days.

9. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

It's magnetic induction (think [​IMG])

Also found on many electric toothbrushes :)

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

How did u get to order online from bb? I've been trying and no dice since they are sold out :confused:

11. urkel macrumors 68030

When Palm does wireless charging its Magnetic Induction.
    When Apple eventually invents wireless charging its Magic

12. urkel macrumors 68030

Whoa! Just stumbled on another WebOS feature we should have on iOS.

Touch to Share!

I got my 2nd HP order (for mom) in and I put both on the table stacked they "paired" and it transfered the site i was looking at to the other device. So now if I want to share something I just need to tap them and they get a copy of what i'm looking at.

I know, its similar to the BUMP app, but the fact that it's built in makes it more useful. It may be silly on an unpopular product line but imagine it on iOS where everyone owns an iPhone. I could see it being very useful in groups where one guy takes a pic or whatever and everyone just passes it along.

WebOS doesn't deserve to die because they've got cool ideas.

13. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Ahhh I see... That explains everything

14. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Induction charging has been around for a while (several years, referring back to the electric toothbrush example). I'm surprised it hasn't become universal already, or at least more widely implemented.

15. urkel macrumors 68030

The problem is its so slow. Its fine on toothbrushes because most of us only brush twice a week (don't deny it), but on gadgets then I'm always surprised how many people forget to charge and need to plug in for a quick refresh.

Now for the big question to those who understand this technology. Is it all compatible? Like, if there was an add-on or if the next iPad had this built in, would an HP touchstone be likely to work or is this stuff all proprietary. The reason I ask is that I scored two Touchstones for $30/ea but since i don't need them then I'm thinking of selling it to a friend.

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You mean we have to do it TWO TIMES every week? Yikes.... :rolleyes:

17. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

Thanks for all the answers.

I ordered on Wed when they dropped prices on all accessories. It was even buy 3 or more get 15%-20% off so I bought 3. I should've gotten two Touchstones and a case 'cause now I'm looking for a case. I should also be notified when the truck comes when it arrives "ship-to-store" so I'll have the inside track if more Touchpads arrived that day. :)