Touchy BlueTooth?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Dec 14, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm wondering are there many, or if anyone else suffering a odd BlueTooth connection problems before, or currently??

I've never noticed this before but recently I've been using an Apple wireless keyboard and wireless mighty mouse on my MBP. The connection between the keyboard and said system seems to be constant. Unfortunately, the same cant be said for the mouse, it's connection seems to drop randomly, usually every few mins. Initially I thought it's the batteries but I replace them with fresh ones and still experiencing the same issue.

Has anyone seen this issue before? It's bleedin' annoying!!

2. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

What mouse/kbd do you have? And what OS X are you running?

I have intermittent problems with my older Apple BT kbd (original) and Mighty Mouse BT (original, though I'm not sure the gray button/white button thing was a sign of any larger changes). Both of these work in tandem fine, for the most part, on both a MacBook Pro 3,1 and a 5,1. However, it appears that my new Kensington SlimBlade BT mouse + older Apple BT kbd are not playing nicely. I don't know who is to blame (Apple or Kensington), and I doubt I'll really have a good way of figuring out, unfortunately. I now have a reason to hope for 10.5.6 ....

3. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

I bought a Logitech bluetooth mouse recently and haven't used a bluetooth mouse before. Therefore, I have nothing to compare it to. However I've noticed it to be very choppy and sluggish. It's functional but very annoying in my opinion. I think I may just stick with a wired USB mouse for now.. at least until the technology improves.

I really loved the idea of not having to use a dongle for wireless ability.

4. JonW macrumors newbie

I have a Logitech V470 BT mouse, and an Apple wireless keyboard. One or other, usually the mouse, loses the BlueTooth connection every day or two.

The only solution seems to be a re-boot, which makes me think it is not the mouse or the keyboard at fault.

I usually manage to have a have a whole bunch of stuff on the go so re-booting is painfully time-consuming.

MacBook Pro - 2.4GHz, 4GB OS X 10.5.6

5. milamber macrumors regular

Just like to chip in on this thread. I actually replaced my macbook pro yesterday after the one I bought a few days earlier was suffering from bluetooth problems.

Are your problems related to the connection dropping or is it the hardware not being detected? Mine was the fact that the actual detection of hardware was intermittant.

6. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

ive also seen this on a late 2007 blackbook. when the bluetooth isn't recognised, the front/forward USB port is also not functional.

doesn't happen to me often, and a restart has always fixed it. seems to be a software issue more than the hardware (?)

7. JonW macrumors newbie

Having dropped the connection, I don't seem to be able to re-establish it. Sometime the device appears to be "connected" according the MBP, but there's no joy, sometimes it is "not connected" but clicking on connect is ineffective.

Following the MBP sleeping, or if I force a connection failure (switch mouse or keyboard off, or taken them out of range) re-connecting works fine.

So in short - I'm not sure if the fact the connection is dropped is related to not being able to re-establish it (without a reboot).

This MacBook Pro is a little over a year old. It's my second - the previous one was about 6 months old when I swapped it with a work colleague (I wanted more disk space ...:). The behaviour is identical (but then I copied the setup over when I swapped).

8. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry for the late reply. I kinda lost this thread for a while.

I'm using the Apple SlimAlu Keyboard with their useless MM, I've never experienced any issues witht he keyboard going on the blink or anything. It seems it's only the crap un-mighty mouse.