tough Choices.. sell or keep?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bc008, Aug 14, 2008.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

My macbook pro broke and apple is replacing it with a 24" iMac. after this i am going to have the following comps:

20" iMac 2.0 GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD
    24" iMac 2.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD (New)

Choice 1:

sell the 24" iMac, use the 20" iMac until a new macbook/pro comes out, then sell the 20" also (this plan will take some time, takes a lot of work, and i wont be able to put money in the bank afterwards.

Choice 2:

Keep the 24" iMac, and sell the 20" iMac. use that money to buy a dell e or eeepc for trips, around the house etc.

my needs:

a powerful computer to use at home that i can play games in windows, store all my music, videos, and pictures, as well as a computer to travel with. i dont yet know if this will be two computers or one. i want to also get some money to put in the bank after all this

2. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

definitely keep the 24" iMac and sell the 20" iMac. what portable laptop you want to buy is your choice. if you want a cheap one, eeepc is perfect. i would get a decent macbook though imo.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

^ what FuuFuu said. Keep the powerhouse 24" iMac, and then find yourself a nice portable. I too would go with the MB, but it's up to you. You might want something even smaller, more portable, though that limits your options and limits how much money you'll have left.

4. patmort02 macrumors member

Why are they replacing it with an iMac and not another macbook pro?

Regardless, I agree with the others...keep the 24 inch

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Weird?!?!?:confused:

Why are they implementing this kind of a replacement? Anyways good for you.... sell the 20" iMac and save the money! Buy the new notebooks!

6. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

because the MBP would have been in repair twice in less than a month, and i think the graphics card is failing, so i told the guy on the phone i wanted something without nvidia graphics.

how much could i get for a 2.0 GHz aluminum iMac, 2GB of apple RAM, 250GB HD, and extended applecare? the screen has a small scratch you can only see when viewing whites.

7. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Picture of the scratch?

8. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

its too thin to get on camera, it is about a half an inch long and really thin.

yea i knew about nvidia failures, so i thought i should get it replaced with something that uses ATI or something

9. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Agreed sell the 20 inch imac and maybe look at getting a refurbished macbook? Obviously depends how much you get for your imac but there are some great deals on refurbs. Especially as you wont need top of the range spec as u have your 24 inch imac.

10. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

thanks guys! i am going to keep the 24" iMac, and use the money from the 20" to buy a Dell E (as long as they are around $300) and put the rest in the bank.. i drive in a year!

11. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

If the dell E will be as well priced as I think, it may be perfect