Tough conundrum for those with good case awareness...

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by blow45, Jul 7, 2012.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

Ok, here it goes boys. It's a pretty touch one:

Rubber case that's soft to touch (leather accepted too)
    Light shade in color
    Nothing on the ipad bezel, holds it around only

and here it gets more difficult

Smart cover that's detachable,

AND

also doubles up as vertical and horizontal stand either on the ipad or when you take it off.

I told you it's a tough one. :)

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have no idea what you mean by this -- does such a thing exist at all? Do you have a picture of a case that does that, but doesn't meet your other requirements?

3. -TYLER macrumors regular

Just buy a smart cover, and a compatible back or skin...?

4. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

I mean that the cover is detachable, and it's also used as a stand for the ipad, but a stand that stands the ipad in both portrait and landscape mode. :)

So we are not there yet guys.

(the closest I can come to it is back cover and smart cover, but the smart cover doesn't support portrait mode orientation as a stand.)

5. -TYLER macrumors regular

It does, but it just isn't sturdy.

The case you are looking for does not exist.

There are some genuine apple smart covers cheap on ebay if you go that way..

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Smart...Accessories&hash=item1c27d1c5d3#ht_2538wt_689

Then just buy a nice skin, or back case depending if you care for some drop protection or none. I use a icarbons skin on the back which I love the feel and look of.

6. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

your case does not exist

something with detachable smart cover? thats either the smart cover itself, the logitech ultrathin keyboard, or a smart cover knock off

something that doubles up as vertical or horizontal stand? the logitech ultrathin keyboard will allow you to do that when you detach it..other wise you got a ton of rotating folios or those that have origami style covers that fold in a way that lets you use both positions (ozaki slim series, moshi versacover, pong, etc)

7. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

i thought it might not exist elgoman, but thanks for coming up with other options; I am aware of them, but I think others will benefit from reading the list here.

You know a detachable cover is important to me, cause I really enjoy using the ipad without a cover on the sofa, in bed, I don't like the flap around it, it's a tablet it should be flapless.

Maybe the logitech keyboard is a good idea too, although I wish they 'd do it in white...

Anyway then, CASE MAKERS TAKE IT UP THEN IN THE FUTURE: Detachable cover that can stand the ipad both portrait and landscape. Something like pong did, but detachable.

8. ElDogman, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012

ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

hmm okay maybe this is as close as you'd get
    the JoyFactory Folio 360III
    [​IMG]

it can rotate in both stand positions, but you can also detach it from the folio so it'd look like this

[​IMG]

the bezel is very thin as you liked it.

the problem is the ipad3 version has been "coming soon" for some time now.
    -edit-
    looks like its finally shipping now.

9. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

wow, super cool, thanks man, that really was a tough conundrum and you managed to find a case, much appreciated. I am going to have a look at it. That'll be just great for taking on a trip, then you can have it protecting your ipad, detach it from the case and just hold it and read, then attach it and watch something on a table, or set it portrait to read.

wish there was a reputation button I could add to your avatar.

thanks again, cool stuff!!!:):):apple:

10. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

no problem, if anything, once you order it and receive it.. be so kind and post a review with pics in the forum :)

i believe the reason why they made it detachable is so you can hook it on joyfactory's other products, like car stands, etc. Since I also prefer a case that could be used in landscape or portrait mode, its one of the products I've considered but dismissed since it seemed like vaporware at one point. good thing i checked again.

11. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

sure no problem I ll leave a few notes on it and pics once I get it. :)

I realized that it can be attached to their other products, seems like a nice added bonus, I was looking at some of them.

12. splatman85 macrumors member

You get this yet? How are you liking this case?

13. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

not yet man, I am in the process of returning my second ipad in a row sadly... so I guess this will wait a while...

14. splatman85 macrumors member

That's a shame..having screen issues or just faulty units in general?

15. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Screen issues mostly, although the first unit was a bit of both screen and manufacturing defect on the casing.:(

16. splatman85 macrumors member

17. splatman85 macrumors member

So I got this case and it is just as good as it appears. It is sturdy, well built faux leather material..the grip pad for holding the Ipad up works amazingly well and it easily detaches from the case so you can just use the backing part alone. You could even use the Smart Cover with this and close it just fine like with the previous version of this case.

The magnetic attachment for the shell to the folio works much better than the plastic one used on the previous case and is easy to take in and out, but also holds it very firmly into the folio. Overall I'd say out of the 3 cases I've tried so far (This, BookBook ver 2, and the Incipio Flagship) this is by far the best of the lot..especially for the price.