Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Ok, I know these threads can get annoying, but I am driving myself crazy so I would like to ask you guys for your opinions.

I have been waiting for a new MBA ever since many of you have. I currently have a Alu uMB (see signature for specs), that I use as a desktop. I want something more portable and for traveling.

Currently I use my Alu uMB for the following and would like to do this on my MBA as well, but not as often as I would on my Alu uMB.
- adium
- browsing (4-5 tabs)
- downloading/watching movies/tvshows
- light photoshop/lightroom

I have ordered a 13.3" MBA max'd out thinking I would replace my MacBook and use the MBA as a primary device until I get a desktop, and then it would be a secondary device. My MBA is primarily to replace my iPad which I have already sold.

I have used a netbook before, 10.1" and I hated it, mostly because of the small trackpad and cramped keyboard, but obviously that isn't the case for the 11.6" MBA from what I have seen.

I really want to get the 11.6" MBA because of how small it is, especially compared to my current MacBook. I feel the 13.3" isn't going to be that big of a difference. I also don't want to be spending $2.1k (which is what my max'd out 13.3" Air is coming out to be).
Also, I keep seeing everyone's posts about their 11.6" MBA and seem to love it, but I guess I will have to see one in store.

However, I tend to get the best that I can afford (max'd 13.3") even if I don't necessarily use all the features.
What bothers me about the 11.6" MBA is that the specs are average. 1.6GHz max and only 3MB cache processor. Not sure if this makes a big difference to my tasks, but knowing the 13.3" is 2.13GHz kind of concerns me.

Just want to hear what you guys think.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
I have a rev C MBA with SSD and am thinking of selling it and getting the new 11.6" MBA. It's that good!!

It should be noted that I'm not a power user and do not desire to run Windows on the new MBA. i got a change to use one tonight and it just knocked me off my feet!

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Yeah, definitely agree its not like a netbook. Love that it has a full size keyboard and trackpad.

Oh yeah, the other thing was the battery life on the 13.3" is greater, but I'm not sure how much of a problem that is.

I will be doing a little bit of photo editing/organizing or photoshop while I am on vacation. Not sure if I should bump to 1.6GHz if I get the 11.6"

This decision is driving me crazy :eek:

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
^ Not sure.

Also, will 2GB RAM be enough for streaming flash on the 11.6" 1.4GHz model or will increasing the RAM help with that? I'll probably stream Netflix or sports online.

Going to check the 11.6" out in store tomorrow to see if its "too small" screen wise. But still want to know what you think is better for my needs.

Thanks.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Since July '09, I have been using rev C MBA 2.13 w/SSD. My plan has always been to waterfall it to my wife and get the "next MBA".

When I saw the announcement on Wednesday, I was pretty sure that I would get the 13.3, but I decided to go the Apple store first to check them out side by side. I ended up ordering the 11.6 w/4GB and the faster processor.

It hasn't arrived yet, but if I think it is too small... I will give it to my wife and keep my existing 13.3 Rev C.

I am not too pleased about the lack of a back-lit keyboard. This seems like a giant step backwards. Once again... If I hate it, I'll give the 11.6 to my wife. She generally has little to no interest in which machine she has... so she is a great target when I need to waterfall equipment due to my tech addiction.

/Jim

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
So I cancelled my 13.3" maxed MBA and decided to go have a look in store ad I wanted a secondary device and the 11.6" was perfect. Dot need the ram upgrade for basic Internet browsing and chat.

However I got 64GB and haven't opened it. I read the 64Gb is 49GB out of the box. I wonder if I should upgrade to 128Gb before I open. I wont be storing a whole lot on it, but probably I'll up 20-30gb which might slow it down.

Help?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
So I cancelled my 13.3" maxed MBA and decided to go have a look in store ad I wanted a secondary device and the 11.6" was perfect. Dot need the ram upgrade for basic Internet browsing and chat.

However I got 64GB and haven't opened it. I read the 64Gb is 49GB out of the box. I wonder if I should upgrade to 128Gb before I open. I wont be storing a whole lot on it, but probably I'll up 20-30gb which might slow it down.

Help?

Having excess space on an SSD can help keep it running fast. This will be less important once OSX supports TRIM (speculated for Lion). I have a Rev C MBA w/SSD that I have been using for about 15 months now. Mine is still quite fast, but I deliberately have a lot of empty space on my SSD.

For this reason, I ordered my 11.6" MBA with the larger SSD... even though it is very unlikely that I will fill it.

BTW: My home iMac has a 2TB drive... and I have an additional 7.5TB server at home... I just choose to not carry that stuff around in my MBA. I do not keep any "original content" on my MBA. All data that I need to access, create, or edit on my MBA is stored in DropBox and/or Mobile Me and hence synced to the cloud and automatically, synced back to my iMac (always on). Also 100% of my email is IMAP. Any photos that I keep on my MBA are exported from my Aperture 3 database on my iMac... so they are by definition, just copies... not originals. likewise, any music and/or videos that I keep on my MBA are copies from my iMac iTunes database.

Bottom line: My MBA is for all practical purposes "Stateless". I could throw it into the incinerator... buy a new one from Apple... load applications from Time Machine... and be running again within minutes synced to the cloud.

My home iMac is double backed up... both locally with Time Machine, and to the cloud with Crashplan+. As a result... I have zero concerns about losing any data irrespective of any theft, malfunction, or disaster.

/Jim

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Having excess space on an SSD can help keep it running fast. This will be less important once OSX supports TRIM (speculated for Lion). I have a Rev C MBA w/SSD that I have been using for about 15 months now. Mine is still quite fast, but I deliberately have a lot of empty space on my SSD.

For this reason, I ordered my 11.6" MBA with the larger SSD... even though it is very unlikely that I will fill it.

BTW: My home iMac has a 2TB drive... and I have an additional 7.5TB server at home... I just choose to not carry that stuff around in my MBA. I do not keep any "original content" on my MBA. All data that I need to access, create, or edit on my MBA is stored in DropBox and/or Mobile Me and hence synced to the cloud and automatically, synced back to my iMac (always on). Also 100% of my email is IMAP. Any photos that I keep on my MBA are exported from my Aperture 3 database on my iMac... so they are by definition, just copies... not originals. likewise, any music and/or videos that I keep on my MBA are copies from my iMac iTunes database.

Bottom line: My MBA is for all practical purposes "Stateless". I could throw it into the incinerator... buy a new one from Apple... load applications from Time Machine... and be running again within minutes synced to the cloud.

My home iMac is double backed up... both locally with Time Machine, and to the cloud with Crashplan+. As a result... I have zero concerns about losing any data irrespective of any theft, malfunction, or disaster.

/Jim

That is pretty impressive. I don't have all my stuff backed up on a Time Machine, nor a cloud, so not sure. I don't really need to sync much stuff, but I guess I can use Dropbox (just realized I have it).
I don't know how to take "copies" into Lightroom of photos.
I will just import photos when I am on vacation and need to put them onto my computer, and then transfer to my Alu uMB when I get home.
I still think 64GB might be ok for me. Reading more before I rip open this box sitting right next to me.

The strange thing was, I checked the floor model at the Apple Store and it was showing only 10.9GB free. I was really concerned as I wasn't sure that there was much installed on there. Don't know why it was showing so little, but it was still plenty snappy for what I need it to do.
I opened up iMovie, iPhoto, and also some Word document.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Update. I opened it finally- the base 11.6".
It is perfect for my needs. Light, portable, fast (browsing, documents, email, and playing movies).
It is definitely a secondary computer, and I paid the minimum, so I shouldn't expect too much. I am just amazed at what a difference the SSD can make; wow. Applications open so fast its kind of crazy, especially compared to my Alu uMB.
I am just going to test it out tonight, browse, watch trailers in 1080p, just mess around and then reinstall the OS tomorrow to free up some space.

re2st

macrumors regular
May 2, 2007
San Jose, CA
Update. I opened it finally- the base 11.6".
It is perfect for my needs. Light, portable, fast (browsing, documents, email, and playing movies).
It is definitely a secondary computer, and I paid the minimum, so I shouldn't expect too much. I am just amazed at what a difference the SSD can make; wow. Applications open so fast its kind of crazy, especially compared to my Alu uMB.
I am just going to test it out tonight, browse, watch trailers in 1080p, just mess around and then reinstall the OS tomorrow to free up some space.

I like your story. Please update.. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.