Tough decision on MacBook Pro model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by schwab16, Aug 24, 2012.

1. schwab16 macrumors newbie

I'm in a dilemma on the MacBook Pro I would like to buy. I have a really good deal right now to get an open box 2012 MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz model (non-retina) for a really good price of $1750 including tax.

My problem though is I was really interested in getting a high-resolution display. So my first question is getting the 1440x900 instead or the 1680x1050 going to be worth this great deal? I'm not sure how much a difference it really is compared to a 1680x1050. I'm really leaning towards the 2012 model though because I'm on a tight budget, and I can get all the lastest tech with this such as the higher spec processor and graphics card along with the usb 3.0. And because of my budget, $1750 is at the very top, the only way I figure I can get a high-res model with similar specs would be getting a late 2011 model. So I'm leaning towards the 2012 model. I just want to make sure I'm not going to regret the 1440x900 screen. I realize that not taking this deal would be kind of crazy, but I just want to make sure I make the best possible decision. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

The reason for not wanting the lower spec 2012 Model is I really would like the 1Gb 650M, and the lower spec does not have it.

2. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

it depends on what you do. also, you are getting a better deal with the 2012 model as you are getting the latest tech, with 60% faster graphics and a slight processor speed bump. IMO i would go for the 2012 model. it might have a lower resolution screen but at least it's better than those 1366x768 screens you see on PC laptops :D

3. nitromac macrumors 6502

Most PC laptops in the $1000+ range are either fit with 1920x1080 or at the very least 1600x900 displays. You're comparing apples to oranges (oranges being cheap PCs). ;)

Anyways, OP: The high resolution screen is definitely a worthy upgrade. 1440x900 isn't nearly as crisp and sharp, and you get more screen space to work with.

However, if you don't plan on making use of the higher resolution (only useful really for audio/video editing; places where having more space actually helps your workflow), then you can just go with the regular display and save some $$.

4. Liquinn Suspended

5. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

I'd get a maxed out mac pro ;) :p

6. schwab16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I definitely would like the hi-res, but I just can't pass up this 2012 model, for a older MacBook Pro with a hi-res screen. So I'm going to get the 2012, and then once I get some more money I will get a monitor and I can just use it with that for some of my more demanding projects. Thanks for the input!

7. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

There are plenty reasons to go mac, but pc screens have a higher resolution dollar for dollar. We have a 3 year old pc laptop that has 1600x900. One reason I am still debating on whether I want to go with a 13" mbp with lower resolution or not. I am debating a last years 15" (for price) to keep the same res.