tough decision! orange retentions offer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benssson, Jul 4, 2008.

1. benssson macrumors member

benssson

I've got a bit of a tough decision to make.

seems a bit silly to post it here as I can kinda guess the answer but...

my contract on orange is due very soon so I called up CS to request my PAC code so I can get an iPhone 3G.

didn't really expect much to come back in terms of retention offers but was surprised by what they are willing to offer to make me stay.

I can get either a HTC Daimond or a Samsung Omnia for free when they're released (in July) with 700 mins / 100 txts, free landline calls and free data. and all that for just £25 for 18 months.

now, in terms of cost, that beats the hell out of the iPhone tariffs.

I've been using wm phones since wm2003 and although they're bad they're not *that* bad. I can get many more programs for WM phones and that aren't artificially hamstrung by Apple and their SDK. Opera 9.5 will be able to play flash videos. general video playback will be better (ie will be able to play divX etc, do upnp to access movies from my mediaserver). these phones also have better cameras and better screens...but...
    is the iPhone really worth it?

gah...what should I do? My heart was really set on an iPhone until this offer :S

2. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I bet you still get the iPhone.

3. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Like you said, you know the response you'll get from everyone on here.

iPhone all the way.

4. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Offer seems pretty good, as does the HTC touch. Hmm...tricky one. Are you happy with orange, and the service. If they are good, then the saving money could be worth it. IMO. As good as the iPhone may be, if money could be saved it may be an option. But then again, I am on o2 simplicity, so a change is not an issue. Good luck deciding.

5. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I rang Orange on Tuesday to obtain my PAC code.

They rang me yesterday and offered me the HTC phone for free when it comes out or the N95 8 GB now, 600 mins any time any network, unlimited texts, unlimited mobile browsing, plus the 4 magic numbers I already have for £25 a month.

I got my PAC code this morning through the post.

A week from now I'll be using my PAC code.

Goodbye Orange. Hello MOTO ... I mean Hello iPhone :D.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I've got a bit of a tough decision to make.

seems a bit silly to post it here as I can kinda guess the answer but...

If you went with Orange, you would be locked into a contract with Orange till January 2010. No iPhone unless you wanted to pay out £25 per month for any remaining months to get out of the contract.

I'd suggest actually trying the HTC Touch and the 3G iPhone. The Touch was reviewed as having a slow / sluggish UI last time I checked.

Depends if the handset, or the tariff means more to you. What features do you want more? Price, minutes, cost of monthly bill, text bundle, handset, syncing capabilities, camera, video, App Store. etc etc.

Kinda shows how desperate Orange are to offer such a deal.

7. drpellypo macrumors 6502

I have had WM devices for about 8 years, and I can promise you the iPhone absolutely knocks socks off them all. I have had them all, from HTC to HP, and they have all been great, but nowhere near as good as apple.

You know what to do. And you know it makes sense!

8. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

That would certainly make me stop and think. I'm purposely ignoring calls from T-Mo UK retentions team ;)

9. Badgerguy macrumors member

It's down to what you can afford. Take an objective look at your typical phone usage and budget. Ask yourself whether or not you can afford to upgrade to a more expensive contract for the iPhone.

If you can afford it - go for it, you'll find a million and one ways this clever bit of kit can be useful for you as well as being a phone and texter - but; don't do yourself out of bread and water for it!

--
    BG

10. benssson thread starter macrumors member

benssson

The line rental's not really the problem. I'm probably spending about £35 a month anyway so the iPhone £35 tariff is about right for me. i guess what it's really about is how much is the iPhone worth more than say the HTC Diamond....

I know what I'm like and I'll probably give in :D

11. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Have you thought about maybe taking out O2 broadband?

Considering most ADSL in the UK is around £20/month, with an iPhone you could get their 16mbps package for £10/month or their 8mbps package for £7.50 a month. This saving could offset the extra you would spend on an iPhone contract. This could potentially be a better deal if you go for the iPhone too because you get cheap, FAST broadband plus don't forget access to 10,000+ wifi hotspots for free.

12. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

What's surfing like on the alternatives? Will you be wishing every time you use one of the freebies that you'd bought an iPhone?

13. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you text predominately, the iPhone is less for you.
    If you want internet, done well, the iPhone is for you.

14. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I text alot. Surely it is just a case of getting used to the iPhone touch screen keys? I didn't have any real problems when i used my iPod Touch (it has not been sold in favour of 3G)