Tough decision to make...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jan 8, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Here's the deal. I have a 1st gen iPhone and an iPhone 3G as most of you probably know by now. Over the past few days, I've been thinking about downgrading to my 1st gen, but every time I think about doing that... I remember that I have 3G and GPS. I don't use the GPS very often but, it has come in handy at times and 3G isn't amazingly fast... it's just "fast enough". I find myself just visiting this site mostly, and I have wifi at work (in the break room) and wifi at home. I'm also concerned about the build quality of the 3G (will it crack or not?...the plastic doesn't feel as professional... even more smudges to worry about on the back...). I find myself constantly wiping my entire iPhone until it's smudge free, only to get more fingerprints right away.... I know that the screen is supposed to get smudged, but smudges on one side is better than two sides.

Here are my options:

1. Downgrade to 1st gen and enjoy paying $15 LESS a month and miss out on GPS and 3G... plus higher quality build and a nice professional feeling.

2. Unlock the 1st gen, continue to pay the extra $15 for the ability to switch between iPhones when I feel like it.

Keep using the iPhone 3G and *try* to not worry about it.

I know some of you are thinking I am extremely picky... well... I'm here to tell you... yeah, I am.

Any advice for me regarding my dilemma?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I thought the v1 iPhone was only $20 for data plan and the 3G iPhone was $30 for data plan? I guess it depends on your carrier.

I would think keeping the 3G iPhone, would be less-worrisome, but then again I like the idea of having the v1 iPhone as a backup. And even if you unlock the v1 iPhone you have several options and you have the ability to return/restore it to AT&T service as you please.

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The 3G iPhone does not come with a text plan. $30 for unlimited data and $5 for a text plan. The original iPhone has 200 SMS by default (for free).

4. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I wish my "keep me up at night" dilemmas were as trivial as this.

From the way you worded the OP, it sounds like you've already decided to go back to the original iPhone. In your case, it doesn't sound to me like $15/month is worth it for the rare use of the 3G and GPS.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I would stab myself with a fork if I had to give up my 3G. Well, I'd at least stop visiting the internet when I didn't have wi-fi. Might as well get an iPod Touch.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hear ya' Spaz, I'm certain it's a tough call after experiencing the benefits of the 3G iPhone and the v1 iPhone. And $15 per month adds up to a savings of $180 at the end of the year. Your description of your 3G iPhone as being "just fast enough" would be a good enough reason for me to keep the 3G iPhone, since your v1 iPhone is clearly "not, just fast enough" and would be on the "even slower" end of the scale on speed. IMHO...:cool:

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Plus, the 2G iPhone doesn't have the "new" factor. It's not as "hip" or "shiny" or "pretty" as the young kids like.

Them: Oh! Is that the iPhone?
    Me: Yes, it's the first generation.
    Them: Does it have 3G?
    Me: No, slow EDGE only
    Them: But, it has GPS right?
    Me: No, but it has something similar, but I needs to rely on nearby cell towers and isn't as accurate.
    Them: Oh, why didn't you get the 3G then?
    Me: I have a 3G, I just choose not to use it.
    Them: Can I have it?
    Me: No.

I'm pretty sure my reason to switch back to 2G is purely cosmetic reasons. I love the style and toughness of the original iPhone. The thicker chrome bezel looks nicer to me as well. It seems like I don't have to be as careful with the original iPhone but, using my 3G feels like I have to hold it as lightly as possible or set it on a soft pillow on my desk (if I decide to ever put it down). With the original iPhone, I feel like I can stuff it in my pocket, throw it on a table, handle it with less care, and not have to worry about the case just cracking for no reason.