Tough Decision tonight

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mac Rules, Nov 2, 2017.

?

Buy tomorrow (expensive) or wait (cheaper)

  1. Tomorrow

    27 vote(s)
    65.9%
  2. Wait

    14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  1. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

    Mac Rules

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #1
    I have an iPhone X on order which is not due to arrive until Nov24th - 1st Dec.

    However, I am away for business and the Apple reseller opposite my hotel has iPhone Xs in stock for tomorrow morning with little likelihood of queues.

    Problem is, in Switzerland the 256Gb is 1,349CHF (1157€) but the Store here is in Euros which retail at 1,349€ (1,570CHFJ so I would effectively be paying 200CHF more.

    Of course I know this comes down to your own circumstances but interested to know what people would do...

    12 hours to decide :)
     
  2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

    ideal.dreams

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2010
    Location:
    Ohio
    #2
    If it were me, I would not spend extra money when I know I could wait and get it cheaper. But some people aren't as concerned with wasting money or they have extra money to throw around so it depends on your personal circumstance. Can you afford to spend the extra money on it without feeling regret after the novelty wears off in a week knowing you could have had it cheaper?
     
  3. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2008
    #3
    I know when I leave Europe, I always claim the VAT refund... can you do that when crossing into Switzerland?
     
  4. s54 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    #4
    Very tough decision, indeed. Don't know how I would bear with it. I mean, this is borderline life or death. I soooo feel for you.
     
  5. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

    ARizz44

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #5
    That is a tough call. $200 to have the phone a month sooner (assuming shipping does not improve). Maybe you could do the whole, 'if it is meant to be it will happen' scenario. Head over there tomorrow and if you land one, it was meant to be. If you are unable to get one before they are sold out, you were meant to wait. That is about the best I can come up with :)
     
  6. allthingsapple! macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2014
    #6
    I say wait. Trust me, I know the waiting part sucks but to save money I think it's worth it. You'll get the phone just a little later and there is a chance your ship date might move up too.
     
  7. mcdj macrumors G3

    mcdj

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2007
    Location:
    NYC
    #7
    If the supplies remain low, it’s conceivable that you could sell the one you get in Dec for the same price you paid for the one you get tomorrow, or maybe 100CHF less, thereby minimizing your overpayment a bit.
     
  8. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mac Rules

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #8
    Interesting question, I shall have to google that
     
  9. sblanford macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    Location:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    #9
    Buy two. Sell one for $200 markup for the difference.
     
  10. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mac Rules

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #10
    You must be great fun at parties.
     
  11. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 18, 2013
    #11
    It just really depends on what your situation is. If I really wanted something and didn't want to wait a month, I'd just pay the extra $200 or whatever it is. Not breaking the bank. Wouldn't even bat an eye.
     
  12. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

    ideal.dreams

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2010
    Location:
    Ohio
    #12
    Keep in mind the shipping time is improving day by day as well, see the article on the front page. You may buy the phone for $200 more only to have your pre-ordered phone ship the next day.
     
  13. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mac Rules

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #13
    Good call, I’ll see if there’s a limit to how many I can take
     
  14. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

    JPIndustrie

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    Location:
    Queens, NY
    #14
    I mean, there’s obviously 2 answers here ...

    You know in your heart the prudent thing is to wait. But you know you desire something else ...

    200CHR for the benefit of walking and NOT having to preorder online? That’s one way of justifying it.
     
  15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    #15
    For some, they don't care about that. If someone truly wants something they 'must have', they will pay the extra $200 and not be concerned about the potential loss.
     
  16. macher macrumors 65816

    macher

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2012
    #16
    People are willing to do it. I have a person who will buy my iPhone X for $500 net profit.
     

Share This Page

15 November 2, 2017