Tough Decision

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vick77, May 5, 2008.

1. Vick77 macrumors member

I'm considering buying a mac, either new or refurbished, but not sure which would be the ideal set up. I travel frequently, but sometimes need a machine with some power. I've got 2 options:

1. High End Macbook, 2.4 ghz, 4gb ram.
    2. 1.8 ghz macbook air (HDD 80gb) and 2.6 ghz iMac, 20" Display, 4gb ram.

Anybody have any advice on which set up to choose? ...note, im not too keen on the macbook pro's.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Given the options you listed, I'd choose the high-end MacBook. To me it seems more future-proof. The Air and iMac would be too expensive a combination for me.

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Is this a trick question?

Why wouldn't anyone go with the MBA + iMac, if they had the money? They are vastly more powerful in combination and the MBA is much more portable. Having said that - what are your computing needs? What will you use the laptop for when traveling?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

If you have the possibility of multiple users, go for the iMac/Air combo, otherwise the MBP would be a great choice. Always check the refurb store for the best buys.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was in the same boat as you but the Air wasn't even a glimmer in Apple's eye 3 years ago. I went with a maxed out PowerBook and external display. It hauled ever since...now it's being demoted as my desktop as a new desktop is being delivered today.