Tough laptop or very lucky!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevemiller, Nov 24, 2011.

1. stevemiller macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I experienced a laptop owners nightmare today. Grabbed up my bag without checking the zipper and out flew my MacBook pro.

Mortified, I picked it up to examine the damage, and there was none! Not a scratch or a dent. Checked the screen, no damage there either. Used it all day at work today and had no issues.

I'll hopefully never put it to the test again, but boy I am relieved that the computer is more resilient than I expected! Anyone else experience similar miracles?

2. Enpallos macrumors newbie

Unfort i dont share you luck! My gf's MBP got knocked off the bed bc it was under the sheets and her HD was damaged, I bought a new one trying to replace it but im having issues getting the OS to install on the new HD. Wish she was as lucky as you bc i mgetting frustrated I cant fix it :(

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Guess

That's a salutoy tale for the resilience of Apple stuff. I've been lucky, Never dropped any of them yet, and my City Messenger bag (Targus) carries my 17" Pro and my Air, both magsafe's and all the usual stuff i cart around when needed.

It's impossible NOT to close it, but I am super careful /almost to paranoid levels.

Glad yours didn't get any damage.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

have you formatted the hard drive?

5. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I dropped mine out of my buddy's truck (4 foot fall) onto my driveway. Thankfully it was in my backpack, but unfortunately my books landed on top of my backpack. In the end, my computer hardly suffered any damage aside from a small dent in the lower right-hand corner of the lid. Pretty durable laptops if I must say so myself

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm going to say you got lucky. It's a matter of how it lands and what it lands on, really. If it's a hard surface or it lands on one of it's corners, it's going to have some damage, generally. I have seen that happen many times. Laptops just aren't meant to be dropped

7. Enpallos macrumors newbie

I cant get the OS X Setup disc to run when I boot while holding down Option it loads up and I click on install OS X dvd but then just brings me to the apple loading screen and stays there. Therefor I cant even format it bc I cant get to the disk utility section. ( The OS X Cd is from a diff macbook tho so I feel that is my problem, that I need the original or the same ver for that macbook pro)

8. Lord Adama macrumors member

What did the laptop come preinstalled with before? If for instance you have 10.6.8 preinstalled on it and you are trying to use a disk that is 10.6 on it then it won't boot. I'm pretty sure it is coded into the firmware. Get a newer version of snow leopard (assuming that's what you want to install) then boot from that cd and run disk utility and partition it the way you want. It should be smooth sailing from there.

9. Enpallos macrumors newbie

So I bought the newest ver. of snow leopard and am trying to boot but am having the same issue, when I click install Mac OS X it just sits on the grey apple screen.

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Out of curiosity, why do you carry around 2 laptops?

11. Lord Adama macrumors member

Did you let it sit for a while? sometimes the optical drive can be a bit finicky. I encountered the same issue installing win 7 via boot camp, sometimes it just needs to sit for a while. If it still gives you trouble is there any other hard drive you could switch out to see if it could be a defective drive? I guess I should have asked earlier but, what version of os x was previously installed on the laptop?