Tough Question:"About This Mac" info wrong...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rhobes, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hi All-

I have Model M8812 800 MHz PowerPC G4 17" iMac, the top iMac at the time.
    I had it upgraded by DayStar(XLR8 MACHSPEED) to 1.35 GHz as well as 1GB SDRAM.

I recently upgraded to Leopard 10.5.5 and had to use a Leopard Assist program to fool the Leopard software to think I had a more current "faster" model. Leopard would not recognise that my computer had more than enough upgrade to handle it's program, it saw my computer as I bought it & therefore not upgradeable.

Leopard is now installed & works great. I have a continual problem that I can't upgrade other software eg. Adobe reader for PDF's 9. I'm sure every 3rd party software is not going to offer "assist" software to load on a 3rd party upgraded computer.

Meantime, I click the Apple in the menu and see "About This Mac". It says I have 10.5.5 and 1GB SDRAM which is correct. But, it says I have 350 MHz PowerPC G4. The original iMac was 800 MHz not 350, yet to top it off I now have 1.35GHz. So, it makes me think, I can't download new 3rd party upgrades because they see this iMac as a 350 MHz computer- not even the original 800 from the factory.

Is there any way to change the info in the "About this mac" to update it to 1.35 GHz or at least bring back the 800 MHz without loosing Leopard?:(

TIA

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I know you can set the clock speed listing in Open Firmware. It doesn't actually change the clock speed just what's reported. I know that's one of the ways to get around the Leopard installer check as well.

3. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Reset the PRAM - Reboot, and as soon at the screen goes black/the apple chimes, hold Command + Option + P + R and hold it until you hear the chime again.

That will reset the parameter ram and it very well may read correctly when you're finished. When I used LeopardAssist to install 10.5 on my under spec PMG4, it reported incorrectly upon the first boot, but fine as I reset the PRAM.

4. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Sorry but this means little to nothing to me...:confused:

5. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Well, I tried it again and it doesn't work. This was part of the leopard assist program, I did it after I loaded Leopard twice and it didn't change it then either.

Like, where does it come up with 350 MHz anyway?

Any other suggestions??? :confused:

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

7. portent macrumors 6502a

1.35 GHz = 1350 MHz
    I think it's dropping the first digit, since that model was never intended to have a four-digit model number.

Does it show up correctly in the System Profiler when you click More Info?