Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackfoot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hey guys, here's a tough question ...

As I was replacing the hard drive of my Macbook Pro 2,33GHz (second gen, the one before Santa Rosa), I decided to clean up the dust that started to cover the fans. Following iFixit's guide, I unscrewed the right fan, and pulled the cable up, as they advised it (here).

I immediately realized something went wrong when the cable AND the part holding it to the logic board came away (the piece inside the yellow box on the previous link's first picture). I simply snatched it away. I guess since my laptop is quite old the lead holding this piece started wearing away.

Anyway I placed it back onto its spot and started moving around with my finger on it until all the connectors matched and the fan started working again. Yes I did that while the computer was on. I glued the piece down and put some tape over to hold it. Everything worked until here.

When the system is running, this fan works the whole time at full speed, while the other one is only at 2k rpm. iStat Pro tells me the fan I fixed earlier on does not turn at all, although there is no doubt he does. Although having 10°C less on this side is great, I'd love to use my mac silently and not feel like I were manipulation a fighter jet.

So, finally the big question: does anyone of you know if there is a chance I can fix this, or did anything similar happen to anyone of you ?

Thank you !

P.S.: Excuse my english, it's not my main language. :)

Freelancer

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2005
Paris
yes. Had this problem before. had the motherboard and topcase replaced under warranty.
run the apple hardware test.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
so the connector on the board came off? the wire/pin that sends fan speed data is still probably not making a good connection. Hence the computer has no choice but to run the at fan max speed.

Blackfoot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I'm no longer under warranty ...

And yeah, I guess there is just a bad connection, but what can I do ? try to move the pin slightly until it seems to work ... ?

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
you could try resoldering but the pins are very very small. you may damage the logic board further.

Blackfoot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
a little too risky for me. I already bought a new hard drive and Leopard for this computer, I wouldn't want it to break down within 24h of installation ...

but thanks anyway.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
its clipped onto the logic board. you can remove the clip, solder the wires back and reinstall it... I don't see how this method can "damage" the logic board unless you screw up the soldering and make a connection to the logic board

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.