Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
I'm looking for a case that will allow me to take my iPhone to work without me worrying about it. I mainly do construction type work so it needs to be tough and be able to keep all the dust and such out. I don't need access to the dock connector or speaker/microphone but a protected camera window would be nice. Ideally it would be something I can easily throw on the phone when I leave in the morning and remove when I get home. Screen protection should be built into the case not something I attach to the phone.

Any ideas? I was thinking of getting a simple leather pouch, but it would be nice to have access to the screen without removing it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For dust I always recommend otter boxes. However, dust is quite interesting in that it can make its way into places you never thought it would go.

I have a Griffen Reflect case for my 1st gen. Not only does it appear super tight, I am afraid after numerous attempts I cannot remove it.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Thanks for the responses. Dust protection is pretty important. I used an Invisible Shield with my old iPod touch and after a couple weeks the underside of the glass was sprinkled with drywall dust. But I suppose I could just seal the openings with tape.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Thanks for the responses. Dust protection is pretty important. I used an Invisible Shield with my old iPod touch and after a couple weeks the underside of the glass was sprinkled with drywall dust. But I suppose I could just seal the openings with tape.

I do think they make port covers... pieces of plastic that cover the openings in the device. I have seen them for the iPhone.

AutomaticHaze

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Texas
For dust I always recommend otter boxes. However, dust is quite interesting in that it can make its way into places you never thought it would go.

I have a Griffen Reflect case for my 1st gen. Not only does it appear super tight, I am afraid after numerous attempts I cannot remove it.

I was watching this review of the Otter Box Defender - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hprNhHMF_E0, and someone commented that this case would be a great case for construction workers.
Should work for you. :)

Thi

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
I just got my otterbox defender and it works great. I take it apart after work, wash it when I shower and its ready to go the next morning. I do electrical work so dust, sweat, and drops were my main concern.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
the otterbox defender is an interesting case. there is construction going in my building and I saw 2 guys wearing this case for their 3Gs. I asked the guy what he thought and he said "It works check it out" the defender was nicked all over the place and worn out looking. the screen still looked clean w/no scratches but he carries it screen in. he said this is the ultimate case and its saved his 3G so many times. he told me he dropped the thing countless times. When it is on his belt he knocks into so many things, it takes a beating. He said when he takes it out of the case the iPhone looks brand new.

makes me wonder how would this thing look like on a business casual belt!? it just looks 'mean' i guess. kinda neat.

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
the only thing i don't like about the otterbox is that the apple logo is expose and it is very easy to scatch it.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
actually after checking it out more closely this case is a bit too much for everyday normal carry. but for a guy that is working and bumping into thing with a high risk of dropping the case this is the one for you. but as cool as it looks and designed its not very practical for the everyday normal wear, especially in the office, heheheheheheheh

shanemaren

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Otterbox Armor is the best case for iphone, it has got almost all properties which one might be looking for. It is waterproof, dustproof, durtproof etc. and the material which is being used to made is quite durable . Even the price is also quite worthable to buy it.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
dylan.......I worked the trades for 20 years but do computer work these past 5 years, I have had my iPhone 3GS in a OTTERBOX Defender Case since day one and I will say this.... You will not find a better case that offers superior protection PERIOD!

Get the OTTER BOX DEFENDER CASE;)

TavisB

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2008
check out the Pelican i1015 case purpose-built for the iPhone & iPod Touch, & fits others: Blackberry & Nokia smartphones: watertight, dustproof, crushproof, corrosion proof etc & has a lifetime guarantee... can't beat that...
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=i1015

Heads up, this case is NOT waterproof, NOT dustproof and has a crappy latch. I was carrying my FIRST iPhone 4 in one on a recent motorcycle trip. I had to put the iPhone in a ziplock bag inside the case because water and dust were still making their way in. Then somewhere in the Nevada desert the latch came undone without me noticing. My iPhone 4 is still out there in the desert somewhere. :(

amandapanda801

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Wrap it in bubble wrap and duck tape.. That should do the trick... Actually I wonder if that would even work haha.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Heads up, this case is NOT waterproof, NOT dustproof and has a crappy latch. I was carrying my FIRST iPhone 4 in one on a recent motorcycle trip. I had to put the iPhone in a ziplock bag inside the case because water and dust were still making their way in. Then somewhere in the Nevada desert the latch came undone without me noticing. My iPhone 4 is still out there in the desert somewhere. :(

You actually thought the OTTERBOX Defender Case Was Water Proof? If it were water proof how would you Hear out of the Earpiece Speaker and talk into the Headset for Phone Calls, Let alone hear the phone ring?

ilovegoodnugz

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
He's talking about the Pelican fool, read posts fully before passing judgement....idiot

You actually thought the OTTERBOX Defender Case Was Water Proof? If it were water proof how would you Hear out of the Earpiece Speaker and talk into the Headset for Phone Calls, Let alone hear the phone ring?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.