Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncanbrodie1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
I know the topic of 'why doesn't apple offer a "ruggedized" version of its MBP line?' has come up before. And yes, understandably, it doesn't make any marketing sense for them to build it. There just isn't enough consumer demand for it.
However, what is preventing an aftermarket company from designing some type of enclosure tailored for the MBP?
I work in the film industry in Vancouver. And very often you will see several departments with notebooks in the field. All of them are macbooks. Always.
But here it rains a lot, which makes life difficult for departments who rely on electronics (or could seriously benefit from them)
Ideally, the enclosure would be made of some rubber/aluminum body similar to the Panasonic Toughbook, and have a spillproof keyboard cover and screen cover, to survive a little bit of light rain.
I would just be so much happier if I could bring my MBP outdoors on a shoot and not have to worry about it constantly. There are enough things to keep track of in the camera department already.

Any thoughts on this?
How would you improve the design, or is it just stupid?

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
if ur want a case to protect it, speck seethru hardshells are as good as u can get.

i guess there u could add a sleeve or something like the twelvesouth bookbook but, unless otterbox comes out with a defender for the macbook which is ulnlikly, no builky cases yet

duncanbrodie1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
if ur want a case to protect it, speck seethru hardshells are as good as u can get.

i guess there u could add a sleeve or something like the twelvesouth bookbook but, unless otterbox comes out with a defender for the macbook which is ulnlikly, no builky cases yet

Speck hardshells just don't seem to do it terms of protection under high stress field environments.
Im surprised there aren't more people who could use a product like this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.