Price Advice Tourist in NYC needs 2 iPhone 5s - delivery to where?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thorbenh, Feb 16, 2014.

1. thorbenh macrumors member

Hi everybody,

next week I will be in NYC for 2 weeks with my gf and we need 2 new phones (5S: 1x 32gb black and 1x 16gb white/silver).

Of course we could just go to the apple store but I checked on craigslist for new/unlocked and I can find some far cheaper offers. But...it somehow looks like a scam, actually most of them.

Is there another option that I havent thought of, buying 2 new unlocked phones? I think I need the T-Mobile version to run it with Vodafone Germany to cover most of the needed LTE frequncies.

I am staying in a hotel in NYC, hence could potentially have them delivered there.

Glad for any advice!

T

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Avoid getting scammed, just go buy them at Apple.

3. thorbenh thread starter macrumors member

Isn't there any other credible soured to get it where I safe a little money?

I guess the apple store does not support the tax free shopping option that Bloomingdales etc do? I mean that they support getting tax back at the airport :)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

NYC has huge numbers of stolen iPhones... go to Apple and be safe.

don't try to buy on the street.

5. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

Agree. Pay a little more but get peace of mind!

6. SparkyCanada macrumors member

Agreed...

You will save money in the long run if you just buy from Apple. If you get scammed you will be:

1. Out the cost of the scammed phones
    2. You will then spend money at Apple
    3. The cost for/of your time...

SparkyCanada

7. thorbenh thread starter macrumors member

I understand what you are saying but I did not have the intention to "buy from the street" but find an alternative source (credible shop).

The only other thing I would have considered is buying from craigslist including original packaging and proof of origin.

No chance? :(

----------

Are there an europeans or even Germans here who brought a 5S along?
    I think I need to go for the T-Mobile version .... (I actually thought its a world phone by now).

8. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

Listen to what you have been told. The streets or Craigslist of New York are not a place for you from another country to try to buy something like an Iphone. Pay the price and keep yourself from getting robbed or ripped off with a stolen or fake phone.

9. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

You've been given sound advice, but apparently don't like what you're hearing. The chances of saving some cash and getting exactly what you want, from a stranger on the street, or a shady 'reseller', delivered to your hotel room no less, are severely stacked against you, but do as you please, and roll the dice. Maybe you will get lucky??

Please don't come back posting here in a few weeks, how you got burned in NYC.

10. SparkyCanada macrumors member

So have you considered places like Walmart?

Not sure if what they carry fits your needs...

Never purchased an Apple product from them... but they sell 'em...

SparkyCanada

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is no such thing as "tax free" shopping in NYC. You have pay taxes either shipped or bought from the store. And there is no tax refunds. We don't have a VAT in the US.

Also for LTE in Germany you need Band 7 as well, which none of the US phones offer. So in some places you will just have HSPA which isn't bad.

Also be warned if you have issues with your phone, Apple can deny you warranty service in your home country.

If you're buying new, the best bet is the Apple Store. Craigslist is fine if you want to waste you time meeting random strangers. If you must, choose something like a Starbucks. There is however nothing stopping the seller from reporting the phone stolen later (or it might be stolen in the first place).

Anyways have fun in NYC.

12. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

What Bloomingdale's (and some other stores) do is offer a discount to visitors from outside of NYC. They may advertise it as being equivalent to not paying taxes, but it's not related to taxation at all, it's just a discount they introduced to drive up sales to tourists. Even then, this discount may have restrictions and not apply to all products.

As for a cheaper legitimate source of iPhones, your only option if you want an unlocked phone is to pay full MSRP. No two ways about it. Some stores may sell for less, but this would be only for locked phones on contract.

Buying from Craigslist has its ups and downs, and while it may make sense sometimes, I cannot imagine a whole lot of legitimate reasons why someone would be selling a new in box unlocked iPhone. An unwanted gift? What are the chances?

13. JAT macrumors 603

Or in other words:

No. There is no way to save a little on an iPhone. Apple has pretty solid control of pricing. Best Buy or Walmart are two stores that may knock a little off for a weekend occasionally, maybe $50 off. I don't even know if they are in NYC.