Toyota Chooses SmartDeviceLink Over CarPlay and Android Auto

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Toyota announced today that it has entered into an agreement with Ford and Livio to deploy SmartDeviceLink, an open source infotainment platform for in-car smartphone connectivity.

For now, this means the world's largest automaker, continues to pass over CarPlay, which has seen wider adoption in 2016, despite being listed as a committed CarPlay partner on Apple's website.
"Developing a safer and more secure in-car smartphone connectivity service which better matches individual vehicle features is exactly the value and advantage an automaker can offer customers," said Shigeki Terashi, Executive Vice President of Toyota Motor Corporation. "We expect that many companies share our view and will participate in the industry SDL collaboration."
SmartDeviceLink, which can be customized to match each carmaker's in-car system characteristics and interface, was originally developed by Ford, which uses its own version of the software called AppLink as part of its larger SYNC platform. Toyota will be the first carmaker to adopt SDL, while QNX and UIEvolution announced on Monday they will support the software in their future products.
In August 2011, Toyota and Ford entered a collaboration agreement for next generation in-car telematics system standardization. In June 2015, Toyota entered into an agreement with Ford and Livio to explore SDL introduction to its vehicles. Toyota's investigation and consideration of SDL has been completed successfully, and the company found SDL suitable for its in-car app connectivity.
Ford and Fiat Chrysler both announced today that CarPlay and Android Auto support will be added to select 2016 and 2017 vehicles, singling out Toyota as the only top five automaker to hold out on Apple's and Google's software. Mercedes-Benz and Hyundai also announced specific CarPlay plans in recent weeks.

CarPlay is or will be available in a wide range of 2016 and 2017 vehicles from Audi, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hyundai, Jeep, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Volkswagen and Volvo. The feature is included stock or as an upgrade by itself or as part of a larger entertainment package.

Toyota will demonstrate an SDL integration in the Livio exhibit (LVCC) at CES 2016.

Article Link: Toyota Chooses SmartDeviceLink Over CarPlay and Android Auto

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
Inevitably everyone will post a "I'm not buying a Toyota.." post but if you really do like Toyotas I think the other thing to do is call or e-mail their corporate office to show them you're not happy with this decision and it negatively impacts your perception of the cars and their company.

Also please remember that both Android Auto and Apple Car Play can be purchased in aftermarket units. So you CAN still buy a Toyota and replace the head unit, if you really wanted to.

I'm a Honda / Subaru guy myself.

Xytal

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
While annoying I won't get it in my 2016 Corolla, I've given up waiting for car play to come out for ANY car. Yes, I've seen the reports today about companies announcing it for this year, but it's 2 years to late IMHO.

I was thinking this would be a big feature I wouldn't buy a car without... But then I just decided it's not worth it since I have my watch. ^_^

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Also please remember that both Android Auto and Apple Car Play can be purchased in aftermarket units. So you CAN still buy a Toyota and replace the head unit, if you really wanted to.
Not a good idea as modern cars use CAN Bus, which allows you to control things such as lighting, headlight settings, etc from the radio (which a friend of mine's 2012 Camry allows you to do). Switching the radio out will mean losing access to all of these settings, because the aftermarket stuff can't communicate with the CAN bus.

Also they're usually very ugly.

Switching out the radio in my Mercedes is near impossible due to Can Bus unless I want to lose access to everything other than moving forward and backward.

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
My Lexus RX450 has about 90,500 miles on it and I am looking at trading it in the next 3-6 months. There are several options. If Toyota and Lexus don't support it, I won't be buying another one. Their in-house systems has sucked for the last 5.5 years and I'm not gambling on it for another 5-6 years.

Maybe the MB GLS450 IF the 2017 version coming out in March has Car Play like some of their other 2016 models.
Volvo's XC90 is an option.
If Ford added Sync 3 (which supports Car Play) to the Explorer, that might be an option.

I think for many people (e.g. my spouse is getting a 2016 Ford Flex with Sync 3 after trading in her older Ford with an older badly designed version of Sync) having the option of not being stuck with a terrible auto manufacturer designed system and having the option of Car Play and Android Auto is an important point.

Reactions: Avieshek

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I have a Prius, and while I wish I could get native Car Play support for it, I'd prefer to get MPG in the 30s or 40s (sometimes even 50s). For me, BlueTooth audio is fine for me. I don't see myself using anything else in Car Play that much anyways.
I'd agree here. I use BT audio and Google Maps. Carplay would be nice but not a deal breaker.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My Lexus RX450 has about 90,500 miles on it and I am looking at trading it in the next 3-6 months. There are several options. If Toyota and Lexus don't support it, I won't be buying another one. Their in-house systems has sucked for the last 5.5 years and I'm not gambling on it for another 5-6 years.

Maybe the MB GLS450 IF the 2017 version coming out in March has Car Play like some of their other 2016 models.
Volvo's XC90 is an option.
If Ford added Sync 3 (which supports Car Play) to the Explorer, that might be an option.

I think for many people (e.g. my spouse is getting a 2016 Ford Flex with Sync 3 after trading in her older Ford with an older badly designed version of Sync) having the option of not being stuck with a terrible auto manufacturer designed system and having the option of Car Play and Android Auto is an important point.
It will be like a drug, once a Benz guy always a Benz guy. You just need that first one. :p.

Mine is too old for Car Play but I'm fine with Bluetooth audio. (Unless they update the older cars which probably not.)

I also like Toyota cars and also had a Camry and it was a good car. Car Play isn't a deal breaker for me in either sense.

Lexus' does have a horrendous system thanks to that remote touch controller. The Mercedes wheel at least works when I turn the thing.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
all new cars should offer carplay, android auto and a separate third party system of their choosing. people just want stuff to work easily

Reactions: orbital~debris

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Ha ha - true. We've had 3 MLs and the original GL450. I traded the GL450 in for the Lexus when the transmission went out at 52k miles and the dealer service dept were ******s about it.

I liked everything about the GL450 when I had it (except the dealer with the transmission). I like 95% of the Lexus too, but the control system is something you use every day, and it doesn't compare to the old Mercedes one - even though that was from the summer of 2006!

I did like the Benz's though a lot....my first two cars were Honda's and they were great too. Reliable, comfortable etc. I'd consider a Honda or Accura SUV too if this was an option.

It will be like a drug, once a Benz guy always a Benz guy. You just need that first one. :p.

Mine is too old for Car Play but I'm fine with Bluetooth audio. (Unless they update the older cars which probably not.)

I also like Toyota cars and also had a Camry and it was a good car. Car Play isn't a deal breaker for me in either sense.

Lexus' does have a horrendous system thanks to that remote touch controller. The Mercedes wheel at least works when I turn the thing.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
If it's handled by the same department that does the moving map GPS & audio system, don't worry. The interface will be un-intuitive and the display will suck.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I have owned 5 Toyotas over the years. After having driven a BMW for the last few years, and test driving new Toyotas and other cars I was going to have a hard time going back to Toyota. This just cements the decision for me.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
What? I can't think of any feature on any mass-produced car that requires a UI which is specific to a single vehicle.
That's car speak for "We want to tailor our offerings to trim levels. Most profitable trim levels get the best toys". Profit is in trim levels and add-ons. Hell, Porsche has turned it into an artform.

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
all new cars should offer carplay, android auto and a separate third party system of their choosing. people just want stuff to work easily
whoa whoa whoa. you think the consumer should have a say in what comes in their car? You'll get what they tell you and like it.

end sarcasm :D

Reactions: AdonisSMU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.