Toyota Confirms CarPlay in 2019 Sienna

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Toyota has confirmed on its website that CarPlay is a standard feature in all 2019 Sienna models sold in the United States. This is the first model year of the Sienna equipped with Apple's in-car software platform.

[​IMG]

LE, SE, and XLE trims of the 2019 Sienna all feature a seven-inch touchscreen display on the dashboard with Toyota's custom Entune 3.0 infotainment system, through which CarPlay can be accessed. Amazon Alexa and Siri Eyes Free are also supported, but like other Toyota vehicles, there is no Android Auto.

Toyota's other CarPlay-equipped vehicles include the 2019 Avalon, 2019 Corolla Hatchback, 2019 RAV4, and the 2019 CH-R. It's also likely that the 2019 Camry, which also has the Entune 3.0 system, will support CarPlay, but Toyota's website still lists the 2018 model, and a spokesperson would not confirm.

Toyota and its premium brand Lexus were among the last major automakers to begin offering CarPlay earlier this year. On the Lexus front, CarPlay-equipped models include 2019 model years of the ES, LC, LS, RC, and UX.

Toyota and Lexus have deployed a wired implementation of CarPlay, meaning that an iPhone must be connected to the system with a Lightning cable to access a wide variety of apps from the dashboard display, including Phone, Messages, Apple Maps, Apple Music, Spotify, and starting with iOS 12, Google Maps and Waze.

The 2019 Sienna goes on sale this fall at dealerships in the United States, with a suggested starting price of $31,115.

Article Link: Toyota Confirms CarPlay in 2019 Sienna

2. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

So glad Toyota is going with Carplay and not that terrible EnTune system anymore. Yuck.

3. unr1 macrumors regular

What about Camry lol

They were so stubborn and now they are giving in one by one.
    Oh, and I’m looking at you too Mazda

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I wish I could fast forward/rewind, and see total time/time remaining when playing off of bluetooth in my Tesla.

Do standard bluetooth protocols include that info, or would it require CarPlay?

5. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

You’re not kidding. Entune is such a failed experiment. If Toyota had not done this we would be back to Honda in 2019 for our Highlander replacement. :apple:

6. cwazytech macrumors 6502

cwazytech

7. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

I know, its going to take a decade to work through their model lineup. But at least they're doing it.

8. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Yup. That's the most important point. Toyota is slow in general with updating stuff, but at least it's happening. I was worried they were going to be the last hold outs with the way it was going before the Avalon got it. Now if they would just rev the Tundra and Tacoma with Car Play...

9. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

Wasn't EnTune designed by Blackberry?

10. Secondempire macrumors member

Secondempire

It was based on BlackBerry's QNX system until version 3.0 which is based on the completely different AGL (Automotive Grade Linux). AGL is supposed to get updates faster, we'll see if that happens.

11. seinman macrumors regular

Bluetooth can do that, but not all head units can do it. I stick with USB in my car because it’s the only way to get the track progress on my head unit. In my wife’s car I have to use Bluetooth, because USB doesn’t allow “play next” to work. But it does in mine over USB. But Bluetooth does show track time in hers. It’s super confusing and I wish we both just had CarPlay.

12. iMerik macrumors 6502a

If you read, you'll see that they are still using horrible EnTune but just adding CarPlay. Sh*t EnTune still exists.

13. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

Well at least you can AVOID using Entune. My god, it's like the Windows 3.1 of Headunits in 2018. What a joke.

14. Phogro macrumors regular

Phogro

Waiting for the Tacoma to get CarPlay. Dealer told me 2020 was his thought, but it was just a guess.

15. Expobill macrumors 6502a

16. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I’m not in the market for a new Taco (yet), but I sure as hell won’t be buying a new one until they include CarPlay.

17. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

Highlander please... or better yet. The whole damn lineup of 2019 cars, no need for the games here...

18. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

19. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

Exactly. I don't understand why this news is in any way exciting. So long as Entune exists, this is all irrelevant.

I have 100% abandoned Entune on my 2018 Camry. It's just too tedious and inconsistent to connect, not to mention the hassle having to plug a cable into the phone. I play my music wirelessly over bluetooth which works decently enough. And I use my phone directly for navigating (it props up nicely in the cubby). Even if my Camry had Carplay right now, the hassle of Entune would prevent me from ever using it.

20. cwazytech macrumors 6502

cwazytech

Is it a software thing or a hardware thing? Would love to know that my 2018 model could be updated with just a software update.

21. TVreporter, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018

TVreporter macrumors regular

TVreporter

It’s absolute garbage ... my wife bought the 2018 model instead of waiting! Van is great but Entune is a horrible system that’s barely compatible with the iPhone

22. rulymammoth macrumors regular

As silly as it might sound, this totally puts Toyota/Lexus back in the running when we buy our next car. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

23. MallardDuck macrumors 6502

Now they just need a software update for older units to migrate to CarPlay and kill off entune completely. The entire unit crashes every time you try to activate Siri, and Toyota has been unwilling to provide a fix for the problem.

24. iMerik macrumors 6502a

YES! This happens to me as well. If I'm listening to audio over Bluetooth, I consistently crash Entune forcing it to reboot by simply activating keyboard dictation (speaker icon) or Siri on my phone. I have a 2015 Sienna that missed Siri Eyes-Free by a year even though I've fairly certain the 2015 model can support it just like the 2016 model can. Toyota wants me to hate them I think.

25. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I mean, you could just get a product that's actually supported after you buy it... major appeal of Tesla is the new features that get downloaded every few days. Very happy to hear that normal bluetooth can do these things. That means it's somewhere on Tesla's todo list and some day my car will get an update letting me do it.

That's the same reason you buy an Apple product, is for the fact that Apple supports them for free for nearly a decade after you get them.