Toys R Us files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Solomani, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Toys 'R' Us files for bankruptcy ahead of holiday season

I grew up as a Toys R Us kid, fondly remember those Geoffrey the Giraffe commercials. Of course filing for bankruptcy doesn't necessarily mean the end of the retail chain. But it does mean, at the very least, that they will need to close down MANY (unprofitable) stores in order to consolidate and recuperate during bankruptcy.

And that means thousands of employees laid off. 64,000 employees and 1600 stores at this moment, according to the article. Sad times. :(

2. PhoenixDown macrumors regular

It was a special time when my parents would take me to Toys 'R' Us and I get to pick out toys.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Do kids even want regular toys anymore. I'd think that now all they want is video games, iPads, iPhones and computers. I know if I had stuff like GTA V, Gran Turismo and Skyrim as a kid. I'd have had zero interest in regular toys.

4. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

For most younger kids like toddlers and 1st and 2nd grade schoolers, a visit to Toys R Us is still a magical experience.

But I agree that older kids (tweens and up) are used to getting iPads and Playstations, etc. Then again, having them sit down and play video games ALL day long has been said to be detrimental (both health as well as social skills) by psychologists, if sitting down in front of a digital screen is all they do for fun.

At least in Toys R Us, the younger kids can get toys that can involve physical and dexterity-based stimulation — from baseball bats and Nerf footballs, to PlayDohs, Nerf guns (good for losing eyeballs), and even Legos, etc. Even girls (and boys??) can get those expensive mini ovens that can actually cook a brownie.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This.

However, it goes much deeper than that. This also affects Babies'R'Us, which is where a lot of expecting mothers go to get their baby's supplies. Car seats, cribs, mattresses, clothing, supplies for teething, nursing/breastfeeding, etc. Most don't realize that BRU is under the same ownership of TRU.

BL.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It was all over when Lego was demoted to "gateway drug" for MineCraft.

7. Zenithal macrumors 601

I've got fond memories of taking my nephews there for toys and games. This was a long time ago. Several years before the digital revolution. Funny how things change so fast.

We got and still get quite a few things through Pottery Barn Kids. Just better quality stuff. They don't sell some stuff in stores, so you need to go online. If not, competitors to TRU sell the same thing, often for less. A lot of traditional store models are doomed. Not to mention Buy Buy Baby is way better than BRU.

8. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

thing is it is not that it not viable.
    there was a leverage buy out of the company and it was loaded with debt that was not it's own in this transaction.

the buyers has stripped TRU over the years and now has no money left.
    Through no fault of its own.

My source of this info?
    Max keiser report.

Living in UK I have never been in or seen a TRU store.
    We do have them just not around me.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I noticed that Star Wars action figures in the last 20 years are not nearly as good as the ones created in the 1970s and early 1980s. I wonder if all toys are that bad as I only focus at the Star Wars stuff.

I also remember a distinct scent with super hero action figures and Star Trek characters. Perhaps it was the plastic used but it was nice. I think the only super hero that was designed wrong was Thor. He looked like barbie instead of Thor.

10. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

21st Century Thor has female parts. Just FYI.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I remember when ToysRUs drove out small toy stores/chains like Child World, back in the 80s. I have little sympathy for them because what they did to others, came around to them.

Yeah, I feel bad for all the workers affected, don't get me wrong, but they used their market presence back in the day to force pricing concessions and exclusives.

My experience of shopping in ToysRUs have been less then positive. I'd go there to get Christmas gifts for my daughters, and I found the place to be disheveled, a bit dirty and the staff not always helpful. The bikes i bought them just last year had to be taken to a bike shop and fixed because the brakes didn't work, and the gear shift was stuck. The wife and I vowed never again.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I wonder what Apple is going to do on this. This is a major retailer that sells Apple products. The iPhone and iPads are sold there. While this is basically just a Ch. 11 (reorganization), should TRU completely go under, what other retailer would Apple replace it with?

The other thing that sucks for us, is that TRU is one of the only major retailers that still sells the wooden Thomas the Tank Engine trains. Target doesn't stock them anymore, and both Target and Walmart only sell the Minis now, and not even the metallic ones. TRU is the last store with the wooden ones, unless we go down to the local railroad museum and pay the premium for those.

Also, many of the classic series toys are on the line here. While they may have put themselves in the position where they are, that does leave a lot of consumers in a lurch, especially with holiday shopping already starting.

BL.

13. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

I seriously doubt very many iphones and ipads are sold at toys r us. They are and vintage case of not changing with the times.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I worked at Toys years back around Xmas time and the influx of seasonal employees is why the staff wasn't as knowledgable. Also why the place looked like a bomb went off. The store turns into a war zone the last week before xmas. Generally easy store have 40 normal full/part time staff. Around the holidays it goes to 150 - 200.

When they were in trouble 10 years ago the company was bought out and went private.

15. Kurfer macrumors regular

Kurfer

Having re-married a woman younger than me I jumped back into fatherhood and never figured I would step foot in a Toys R Us again (it's been around 12 years)...I was amazed how clean and organized the stores were and they had alot more than just toys. Their video game selection blew Best Buy and Target away not to mention they actually had a diverse stock. Usually you try to find Amibos or whatever those silly things are called at Best Buy and there is 10303403 of the purple luigi evil guy nobody wants.

It's a shame to see a company that takes care of their stores fall into this type of trouble.

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

They DO sell video games, iPads, etc. This isn't the problem. The problem is that retail stores are just dying left and right in general, due to the lack of the ability to modernize and adapt. Most people if they do go to a regular store, are strolling downtown boutiques, and small businesses. These larger businesses hey day are over, take a look at dead and dying malls, Sears/K-Mart, REI, Linens and Things, Borders books, etc...

17. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

On that note. Sears should be smart and spin off their Craftsman line. I've been thinking about this for a while now. They should place small Craftsman stores in the same strip malls next to Home Depot. I'm sure they'd sell a lot more. As contractors would love to be able to pick up high quality tools when getting building materials. Having to go out of their way to go to some mall for a high quality saw or hammer is too time consuming. So, they make do with the Husky junk. The Ace hardware partnership was a bad idea. I know I would shop in a Craftsman store if I could do it in the same trip as a Home Depot run. When doing home projects.

Appliances, clothes, furniture and bedding is a dead end for Sears. If you want cheap stuff you go online or to Walmart. If you want good stuff. You don't go to Sears.

I can't think of what would save Toys R Us.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Sears sold Craftsman to Black & Decker earlier this year.

19. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Whelp. So long Sears. I hope the lifetime warranty on all my hand tools will still be honored.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Most parents don't let their 8yr olds play Grand Theft Auto. The only ones who do are in a trailer or the projects.

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yeah they will - replaced with a B&D with a 2-year one... :eek:

22. dirtylilhobo macrumors newbie

dirtylilhobo

Well, there goes the only reason I ever set foot in Sears...

23. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

LOL - just straightened out my record collection and I have this one still from my childhood.

So it was really sad.

Thanksgiving night, a local station (in Chicago) had reporters at the different stores to report on the lines that were forming for the Thanksgiving Sales.

The Reporter at a TRU in the area said that at that store, there was no line and hardly anyone there.

I was at a TRU on Black Friday, and at 10am, it seemed to be busy as if it was just a holiday weekend. The Best Buy next door was packed, even though they had already sold out of many "Door Busters".

If that is the case for TRU during this holiday season - they're essentially done....

:(

24. RevTEG macrumors 6502

RevTEG

Several Toys R Us have already closed down in the San Jose area. My 8 and 2 year old love going there.