Toys R us is coming back this year

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mripadmini, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Zenithal macrumors G3

Not gonna lie, as a dad I actually like that they're coming back. Yeah, Amazon is great and all, but holy heck is it hard to judge the size of a toy or anything from pictures alone. I often seek out customer pictures in Amazon reviews to get a good idea of what's what. Plus, Babies R Us is easier if you're expecting.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's going to be 2 to 6 stores, so I would not call it a full comeback but a trial run.

3. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Toys R us brings back many memories from when I was a kid. Back in the days just about every kid wanted their parents to take them toy shopping at Toys R us.

4. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

So weird for someone older like myself to experience these struggles of chain stores to survive. One has mixed feelings... I mean I remember when Barnes&Noble was a dirty word in the upper west side of Manhattan over concerns of their possibly driving indies and micro-chain booksellers like Shakespeare & Co. flat out of business. Similarly with Toys'R'Us as some indie toy sellers felt the pressure...

Now the whole bricks and mortar thing is tottering and we're supposed to mourn if B&N or Toys'R'Us or some clothing or bath supplies retail chain struggles to survive?

OK I'm working on it... :rolleyes:

Meanwhile I try to throw a little business to local booksellers in a 50 mile radius around here so as not to let Amazon and Apple have it all. My own growing preference is tending towards e-book formats thanks to aging eyes. And for toys I do admit Amazon's still my thing... only after getting precise instructions from the parent of the eventual recipient. /Confession

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

My memories of Toys R Us are colored by the fact that I knew someone who worked there when it died.

He has absolutely nothing nice to say about them. He lost vacation, severance, he turns red when I mentioned them.