TPU case and Apple dock?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jtara, May 9, 2010.

1. jtara macrumors 65816

Quick dumb question - do any of the available TPU cases for the iPad work with the Apple dock? I guess there would have to be a large enough cut-out to clear the dock area, not just the connector.

Also, how difficult are these to slip on and off?

I think this sort of case is ideal for use around the house (which is my primary use) but I'd like to be able to slip it off and put it in some sort of folio case when I take it somewhere.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

3. jtara thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks!

After reading the reviews, though, I don't like the idea of the glossy finish. Seems to me it will get scratched-up, and a number of commenters confirm that.

The OtterBox Commuter (not out yet) will work with the dock as well. Probably also will get scratched-up, but at least it appears that it isn't glossy, and, anyway, it's a damn Otterbox - it's MEANT to get scratched-up. ;)

The OtterBox Defender (also not out yet) also has a removable cut-out for the dock, also has a very nice built-in "easel" for landscape viewing, and a "typing" position like the Apple case. I'll keep this one in mind, though, because I have some ideas for using iPads in food and bar service. The Defender looks like just the thing!

Any others anyone has come across? I'm particularly interested in a TPU case. I suppose I could dremel-out a cutout... How hard is TPU to machine? It wouldn't bother me if there were just a permanent cutout for the dock. Oh. Maybe just an exacto knife? Would give cleaner edges.