trace a stolen ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by twisted-pixel, Jun 11, 2012.

1. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Hi,

we had out house burgled over the weekend and among the other things they took was my ipad. I've tried the find my ipad thing but had no luck so I'm guessing it's either not been turned on yet, or it was wiped first chance they got.

any way I can trace it and kill the thieving scum bags? I have the serial number etc, but since it's not like a phone with an IMEI number and it only connects via wifi I wouldnt have thought there was any way to block it? or even find out when it's plugged in

I can maybe only hope that they take it to an apple store one day or something and it gets flagged up as stolen but then that will probably be by the poor unsuspecting bloke that he sold it to.

any advice at all?

thanks

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

If you can't find it with Find my Phone, the only thing you can do is file a police report and insurance claim.

Apple will not help you locate it.

3. poloponies Suspended

Pretty much for the reasons alluded to above. They have no way of knowing whether the person bringing it in is a rightful owner (and victim of an unscrupulous seller), a thief, or something in between. No retailer wants to be a policeman as well.

4. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I figured as much...thanks for replying guys

I don't mind the insurance claim (apart form the excess), I can get another ipad easy enough but I just want that thieving scum to suffer