Tracing lost or potentially stolen files via recovery software.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DeusExFructus, Feb 15, 2013.

1. DeusExFructus, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

DeusExFructus macrumors newbie

Hello. New to the forums and need some help with security. :)

My question goes out to those who might be familiar with these programs: CompuTrace, or "Prey", or have experience in recovering / locating stolen files.

The Apple store sells a software called CompuTrace which, if I understand correctly, is for locating stolen laptops to "recover" the data from the hard drive.

Also there is an open source program "Prey". Similiar to CompuTrace, however I am not sure if this or CompuTrace will work for me.

I am wondering if these programs or one that exists can trace and locate only specific documents (of mine, from my Mac) that (I suspect) are floating on another person's hard drive. And, if the program will locate and delete those files from that person's hard drive.

:confused:

Thank you, would greatly appreciate some help with this.
    (Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong thread or if a similar question has already been posted, I browsed the forums but did not quite find the answer that I was looking for.)

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Quite sure there is no such application or software that can do what you want. Prey doesn't locate stolen "files", it locates stolen computers. It keeps the customer up to date with IP and GPS tracking information so it can be given to the police with the intentions of recovering the stolen computer.

3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Well....

the thing you want to accomplish can be done in some way. But involves a high level of hacking and high prowess in computer sciences, to my best knowledge....:(

:):apple: