Track calories burned/miles biked?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DarkHeraldMage, Dec 13, 2007.

1. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Morning all!

I'm about to start a new exercise regime in the next few weeks (*cough* 2008 *cough*) and would like a program/widget that can track it all. I've seen a few, but they're all very plain. Does anyone use a program that can keep track daily of perhaps miles biked/ran? Calories burned? Weight each day? :confused: Anything would be helpful! I'm just tired of logging it all in a spiral notebook and flipping through pages to look over and calculate averages myself. Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is by far my favorite site. Free to use online or you can buy the application. However, last I checked with their customer service department they were working on a Mac version. I just use the online version here. Also, you can google something like "calories burned" and find all kinds of calculators that will let you plug in some details about you, your ride, etc. and it'll tell you how many calories you burned. You can track that via fitday.com. I just happen to know this because I bike and track things there, however, most recently I started tracking things through iCal.

Good luck!

3. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Thanks. I'll look through that tonight. Glancing at it from work looks good. Any other ideas anyone?

4. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

5. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Sadly I don't even have an ipod right now. haha I have a G1 shuffle, but no nike shoes or anything else. That'd be nice though.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Does it work with any exercise other than running? I thought it didn't work with things like cycling etc.
    But if it does I am getting one tomorrow. :p

7. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Have you considered simply using a spreadsheet? Maybe that's in the "too plain" category, but it is easy to do and one can have graphs generated for almost all kinds of things more or less automatically.

I'm using a NeoOffice spreadsheet I created to keep track of my status. For each day I enter the current weight and body fat/water/other percentage, then the formulas in the spreadsheet fill in other fields, such as BMI, total net gain/loss, weight gain/loss in the body fat/water/other segments etc. Keeping track of other things, such as miles ran, weights lifted or legs broken is equally easy with a spreadsheet. And the possibilities for statistics are virtually without limits.

If you decide to try the spreadsheet way, feel free to PM me if you need help or want to chat a bit about the topic.

8. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Sure it does. It works great for walking! ;)

Walking to and from work results in between 3.93 and 4.07 km for me with the Nike+. The maps I've consulted suggest that the distance is more or less exactly four km. The accuracy in my experience for running and walking is within +/-10% which is good enough for me. No need to plot a specific course, just run and then have the iPod tell me how far/fast/long it was.

Impressive gadget. For running and walking that is... Would be interesting to try it with a bike (the results would be completely invalid I presume, but maybe a bit of manual conversion of the results afterwards could make it useful).

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oooh. Clever! :p

But I meant real exercise! ;)

10. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I see the smiley, but have to wonder anyway - what's "real"? :)

Since you mentioned cycling - for bikes it is either one of these or a GPS. A GPS is useable for most kinds of exercise, will work with for example skiing, running and possibly swimming outdoors :p

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I was just pulling yer leg. :D

12. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

Christmas is around the corner, perfect timing to write Santa a letter...

Other gadgets I can think of is a Polar monitor, that will do for running and there is also a special Polar device to attach to your bike...

don't know if they make apple compatible software...

:apple:

13. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I'm going to buy myself a Touch with Christmas money, but not until after the conference next month; I'm hoping the rumors are true and it'll get a bump in capacity. For someone who has a 23,000+ song library occupying over 125 gigs of space, a 16 gig iPod just isn't gonna cut it. :p