Track Editing / Mixing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tweeker, Sep 29, 2011.

1. tweeker macrumors newbie

Hi All,

New to Mac and looking for recommendation on what application would be the best to do the following...

Essentially just looking to edit an mp3 track in that I want to remove a section of the track then mix it so that it sounds as if it was never there, or close to it.

I have done this on PC in the past, but now I am using Mac and need an application that I can fool around with to accomplish this.

Thank you for your time reading my question.

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

This is dead easy to do in GarageBand or Audacity.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Essentially just looking to edit an mp3 track in that I want to remove a section of the track then mix it so that it sounds as if it was never there, or close to it."

If you already have GarageBand on your Mac, that's the app to use.

You'll need to create a new "project". Give it any name you wish.

Once the project is open, you'll need to create a "basic" track. If there is a "default" track created by GB when it opens the project, just delete that one (and use your "new basic" track instead).

You will have to import the mp3 file into the basic track. Just have the mp3 file "visible in the finder". Then "grab" it with your mouse and drag and "drop it" into the timeline of the new track in GB.

In GB, you can start/stop the play of the track with the controls at the bottom of the window, or just tap the space bar.

When you get to the points you wish to split, position the cursor where you want in the timeline and choose "split" from the edit menu.

Suggestion: you can create additional tracks. I'd suggest a second one, then import a "second copy" of the mp3 to the "working track". (Keep the first one intact for reference).

Create a third "target track" to drag your "cut pieces" to.

Then use GB's "automation" to do fades, etc.

Note: when you import mp3 files into GB, they are converted into "aiff" (uncompressed) format. You can either retain the finished file as UNconverted (it will be larger in size), or re-compress it back to mp3. HOWEVER - be aware that because mp3 is a "lossy" format, when you re-compress it, you risk losing additional sound qualities of the original file. For that reason, if you choose mp3 as your output, I'd recommend using a high bit rate, such as 192 or 256 for your final mp3 output.

4. tweeker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot! I truly appreciate the time and effort you have put into this response. Thank you for the help. I will try this then.

Much appreciated!!!

5. tweeker thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to ask a question...

What do you mean by using a third "target" track to drag your "cut pieces"?

Wouldn't this just defeat the point of eliminating a certain section of the song?

I'm just a bit confused by this. If you could elaborate I would appreciate it.

Thanks a ton for your time!

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"What do you mean by using a third "target" track to drag your "cut pieces"?
    Wouldn't this just defeat the point of eliminating a certain section of the song?"

You can use the third track to "reassemble the pieces" of the song, after you have cut the unwanted portion(s) of it out.

This will be more obvious once you start editing.

Once you have the song re-assembled on the target (or "working") track, you can add fades, etc., by using the automation features of GB.

Then, when you have it the way you want, you need to "export" it as a finished version. There's a command in the menu for this.

Important:
    When it's time to export, make sure that the only track you have audible is the working track, or everything else will get played back in the mix, too. You need to mute the other tracks, and have only the working track audible.

7. tweeker thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. Thanks a ton for all your help!