Track IR alternative

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by RollTide, Mar 15, 2011.

1. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

Hey guys, I know this is petitioning to a very limited amount of you gamers but I will give it a shot. I am planning on buying a new iMac once they are released and plan to put win7 on it to play il2 cliffs of Dover(flight sim)

I have tried the free alternatives to track ir, but the problem has always been the camera on the iMacs not working nicely with the software. Anybody with experience with newer macs and the free software?

I would like to have as little tweaking as possible, but I've gotten older software to work in the past.

Thanks!

2. bmb012 macrumors 6502

If you're running in Bootcamp, there shouldn't be any difference if you're on the iMac or not. Unless I'm not understanding the question...

3. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

I will be using windows, just last time I checked some of the software it did not support isight(s)

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I found this post, which might help;
    http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=2645

I have no experience with the free tracking software, but out of curiosity, why not invest in an actual Track IR?

I finally bit the bullet and bought the Track IR 5 with the Clip Pro attachment last year and I can't ramble enough about how great this setup is for my various games/sims. NaturalPoint's support has been excellent and their software works great.

5. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

I'll be honest, I like tinkering and don't want another piece of whatever cluttering my desk. Not a great reason, but still enough not to make me want to buy it.

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Maybe if you tried one out, not sure how, but I'm with you on the tinkering, but I also like nerd-ccessories.

7. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

So have you ever used track IR, not only for use in flight sims.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yep. I use it wtih GRID and DIRT 2. I have a G25 wheel also. Can't do a racer without a wheel. :eek: I also own RACE O7 and ToCA Race Driver 3 -- just don't play them as much.

When I first set it up, I was so used to playing from the hood-perspective, it was bit odd, where as in planes and choppers it was transparent from the get go. But now I don't want to play without it, because it allows me to look into corners and so on and it feels completely natural.

I also have ARMA II and what a a difference it makes for this FPS! Night and day better!

One last ramble, I actually had a defective camera, which was on their recall list. They replaced it and now the unit sets up with no hassles what so ever and it's way more precise. I noticed this in my Apache Assult game, where as I look to where I want the canon to fire. Now it's really easy to keep my head on a tank as I fire. And it tracks all 6 DOF flawlessly, where as the defective unit had an issue with the head tilting and zooming.

Anyways, originally I looked at the Track IR and then FreeTracker. If my HD 30" had a built in camera I might have gone open route, but on reading further, I figured what the hey. I like that the Track Clip Pro attaches directly to my headphones, so I don't have to where a hat.

9. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

That sounds cool, the whole locking on to a tank and all. I never thought about using track ir in anything but IL-2. I hear ya about the ease of use and not wearing a hat, I had IR led's, battery packs, and a switch on a visor (taped on of course) and it looked prrrrreeeeettttyyyy awful.

Thanks for the info.

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

As long as it worked, looks are secondary.

My thing about the hat, is that it obstructed my upper view on my screen... And it made my head hot. :eek:

11. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

And it made my head hot. :eek:[/QUOTE]

I live in alabama.... Visor is the only way to go.