Track My Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by driedup, Jan 5, 2011.

1. driedup macrumors newbie

My macbook pro was stolen. I have the nac address and serial number.
    Can anyone track my computer for me OR somehow mess it up, hack into it, send a virus to it? I do not want it used because of sensitive information in it?

Any help would be appreciated$$$$.

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Did you have any tracking software on it already, or maybe some sort of remote desktop software? If not, as far as I know, you're out of luck. I would contact the police and keep an eye on local Craigslist ads as well as eBay.

3. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Did you invest in the free "hidden" app that was offered for the holidays. If so, just log into the username on that, hopefully you can find it, soon.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's too late now, but for your future Mac purchases, you should consider using Undercover in case you lose it or have it stolen again.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you don't have tracking software built in, you're out of luck. You can't hack it if you can't find it (even then, it would be very difficult), and there are no viruses in the wild that can infect current Mac OS X. Chances are, if they want your sensitive information, they have it already.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Sorry mate, you're out of luck :(.

This has me questioning whether I should invest in a tracking software..

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If it was sensitive it would've been in a file vault on a locked user account.

If it was reely sensitive you would've had whole disk encryption.

If it was reely reely sensitive you'd have insurance and a tracking mechanism before it's stolen. Etc, etc.

Hope you recover the goods but man it's not looking good.

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

too bad there is no whole disk encryption for mac. PGP advertises it but its not the case however.

get a hardware encrypted drive - if your coorporation really requires it, but keep in mind, it will only prevent attackers from plugging your drive into a different machine and reading the data, there are hundreds of other ways to force entrance, especially if you left it in sleep mode.

9. aCondor macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear that. You need to take some serious action now.

Some advice:

Get to a computer. Log into your bank account and change your password.

Repeat for e-mail and any other websites that auto-save a password and might contain personal information.

Invest in tracking software next time.

It sucks, but just chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. Not much else you can do. :(

10. Scippy macrumors regular

I'm sorry but unless you already had some tracking software installed, you are pretty much out of luck.
    The best thing to do is to let the police know, and to see if any macbook pros show up on cragslist in your area.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

really? This is just false. Not only is there wde for mac, but PGP and WinMagic offer variants.

pgp must be selling me snake oil although I personally can't read the contents of my own encrypted drive without decrypting it first. not to mention this nifty bootguard thing that I have to type in before starting my machine:

[​IMG]

12. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

what if the op was the guy who stole the mbp and is wondering if it can be tracked? :/

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

it makes me sad that a response like that may not be completely unfounded :(.

14. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

and where do you think that is stored, not to mention the hash it compares your password to? That's right, on your harddrive, and since its bootable it's not encrypted. Food for thought!

15. nippyjun macrumors 65816

preyproject is a free tracking program for mac and pc.

16. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I think "MAC" people are far more mature than to stoop so low to steal anything much less make up a scenario like that.

17. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

Sadly, you would be surprised :(
    In regards to this forum your statement might be more relevant then compared to the average Mac guy.