Track pad button stopped working on early 2008 MBP, not unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sdavis81, Feb 24, 2013.

1. sdavis81 macrumors newbie

Tonight the buttton stopped working. This is not the Unibody, it is the early 2008 with a button and a trackpad. It doesn't "click". It does register light touches on the button as a click though, making the computer very hard to use. You have to hover your hands over it not to touch it.

Anyone suggest how to fix this? Ifixit did not seem to have a set of instructions for the trackpad, just the keyboard. Thanks

2. noodile macrumors regular

i dunno if it could be a similar issue, but my 2009 MBP (unibody), had the same thing, and the cause was that the battery "bloated" and was pushing up on the trackpad. once i moved the battery, everything was fine and dandy.

3. JohnnyComeLatly macrumors member

AHA! I had the same things happen around the same time ("random" selections, and a battery malfunction).

I have a replacement OWC battery that's less than 12 months old, so I'm bummed it has malfunctioned. It won't pop out. I can see the internals (wires, gel looking packs) of the battery when I try to force it out. What would you suggest to get it out? When I flip the two tabs it doesn't pop out and prying has the battery starting to come apart.

4. noodile macrumors regular

no idea man.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

6. JohnnyComeLatly macrumors member

Just to follow up, I decided to give it a go because I wanted to send my MBP home for my wife/kids to use. It didn't make sense to have a MBA and MBP with my situation (Afghanistan).

I just very, very, very carefully pried up the side where the flip tabs release the battery, and inched it out side-to-side. No rush. It came out.

As soon as I got it out, the laptop was back to perfect (no accidental selections, case was parallel to track pad, etc). I then called OWC and they confirmed I was pretty far outside the warranty period, but offered a discount on the new one with free shipping. So, I sent the new battery to the wife, and shipped the MBP to her as well from here.

Happy Ending :)