Track pad clicks from palmrest

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OUChevelleSS, Jan 21, 2010.

1. OUChevelleSS macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I tried to do a thread search for this, but there were so many threads involving the trackpad that I thought I'd start a new one.

I've noticed an issue with my MacBook (early 2007 model). If I rest my hands too heavily on the areas next to the trackpad (indeed, even if lightly sometimes) the trackpad will register a click. It's pretty annoying since it causes things to jump around, or text to get jacked up if I'm typing in a box when this is happening.

I can reproduce this easily and know it's not my finger brushing the pad. It seems to be exclusive to the right side of the track pad only.

Known issue and worth taking in to get it fixed (still under Applecare)? Thanks all.

2. mtslights macrumors newbie

Bulging Battery

I had the same problem with two MacBooks. The problem in both cases was a bulging battery, one very obviously swollen, one not so visible. Apparently the batteries can start to swell over time. Apple Care will replace it if you're still covered, otherwise it's $125 for a new battery.
    To test, remove your battery and run the MacBook on just the power adapter and see if it still happens.

3. dandaman2 macrumors regular

Yeah, this happened to my dad's MacBook Pro too. While his was not under applecare, there's a special program for bulging batteries (handled MUCH better than the Toyota recalls, by the way...)