Track Pad / Keyboard Protection on 13" Unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mitchellh, Jun 15, 2009.

1. mitchellh macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just today purchased a 13" unibody MBP after having a 2006 model intel MBP 15" for a few years. I just couldn't handle 15" on the road, since I have a desktop at home and only use my MBP when I'm out and about and 15" is just too large for me to be strutting around (my own opinion).

One thing I was very careful about with my old MBP was protecting the keyboard and trackpad from finger oils and such by covering them.

I was wondering, in the 3 years since I've bought a computer, has anything changed? Should I still get a track pad protector and keyboard protector?

If so, can someone recommend some?

Thank you

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

For me, I think the new keyboards are easy to keep clean - being black it means you can easily see any marks and anything that shouldn't be on them (and they obviously won't stain like on the old white MacBook or the white-keyed iMac keyboard); this also means they can be cleaned very easily. My keyboard looks pristine after over two months of use. With the trackpad, the main thing in regards to protection is something that'll stop the glass from cracking. I, personally, don't use any protection on either my trackpad or keyboard - by the time you get something thick enough to protect the glass it'll probably stop any movement being felt by the trackpad anyway.

3. mitchellh thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good that was very helpful. And what do you mean the glass cracking? I know the glass trackpads haven't been around very long but I also haven't read much about them. They crack after some time?

Surely this is covered by warranty?

4. Ashhong macrumors member

dont know what hes talking about, but i havent had any problems with my glass trackpad. as far as signs of wear, the trackpad will be just fine. as long as you dont go taking your keys to it, i dont see it being affected.

the keyboard does start to look worn with the oil from your fingers though. i havent tried anything but water though, and i heard mr clean magic eraser works wonders.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Well glass cracks when its under a lot of pressure (so if, for example, you happened to drop something heavy onto the trackpad on accident). There's also a few topics around here, with photos, of people whose MacBooks/MacBook Pros had a problem with a screw under the trackpad hitting against the glass whenever it was clicked...to the point where they actually cracked. So they do seem to be somewhat fragile. However, those sorts of stories are in the extreme minority of owners.