Track Pad- make it ergonomic?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SharpTenor, Jun 22, 2011.

1. SharpTenor macrumors newbie

I bought the Magic Track Pad with my new i5 iMac, but I'm finding that I have to constantly lift my other four fingers and my wrist to keep from sending a "multi-touch" signal to the computer. How do you use the track pad? Have you found comfort tricks? Or experienced problems?

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

On the floor. With my toes.

Really though, I put it at the edge of my mousepad with the wrist-rest (that's hard to say).

Works wonders.

3. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I actually started a thread called "Honest Opinion about Trackpad" (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1171878&highlight=) where I talked exactly about this problem.

It's true. While the trackpad and multi-touch gestures are ingenious, it ultimately is non-practical to use especially for prolong periods. The fact that one has keep their hands tilted up causes strain. In other words, there's nothing to rest your hand on, as you would a regular mouse. Though your wrist may be resting on the table, the majority of your fingers and your hand have to constantly "hover" over the trackpad.

I've switched back to my logitech mouse. With any multi-button mouse, you can assign the extra buttons to do Expose, dashboard, or whatever you wish. You don't lose out that much on not using the trackpad, except for maybe specific gestures like pinch-to-zoom.

The trackpad remains perfect for laptops, but in my opinion, impractical for long use on with a desktop. You're not alone.

4. lavino macrumors member

I have to agree with you guys. I have the Magic Trackpad but I end up using an usb logictech trackball instead. I have the default mouse too but I haven't used a mouse-mouse for like 10 years its always been trackball for me. I do use the Magic Trackpad for one purpose. Chinese handwriting. It actually is a lot better than any chinese writing tool out there. I am selling my J-power whatever pen pad for Chinese writing. It is still not bad as a mouse and I think you can turn off the 4th finger gesture in preference? But to me.. Trackball FTW ;P

5. MacHamster68, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

what you need to get the strain from your fingers and wrists is that thing here ..works wonders
    [​IMG]

because your arm and wrist are supportet and are above the trackpad and not below the trackpad , so your fingers basically hang above the trackpad in some sort of relaxed position instead of having to lift them constantly which is causing strain

helps with the magic mouse and keyboard too

apple just has never even heard about the word ergonomic , so how should they know about its meaning
    apple is about design for the eyes , not for the rest of the body and thats something you need to accept like you have to accept earthquakes

ideally in ergonomic terms the keyboard and trackpad should be turned around means the round battery part should act as a wrist rest, so your fingers would not have to lift up constantly and would hang more in a natural relaxed position

6. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

What is that wrist wrest and where can I get one? I have had hand issues fir a year and this could be the ticket.

Thanks.

7. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

I'll usually rest my hand on the track if I'm not using it at that exact moment. As long as I don't set an action to 4/5 finger tap I don't have any problems sending accidental gestures while resting my hand on it.

I love the trackpad, I use it with my left hand and use my generic MS mouse with my right. Makes using things like Ps and AutoCAD a breeze.

8. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

I realize that using both devices isn't ideal for most folks but I have found keeping the track pad on my left hand side to work for me. I haven't given up my magic mouse though.....

9. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Track Pad is a great device, however for me I like to use a Track Pad and Logitech mouse. I've found the Trackpad to be to stressful on your wrist after using it for a while.
    Yes all the gestures and motions work well but ergonomically the Track Pad is not good. Hopefully Apple finds a solution.

10. itsjosh macrumors newbie

@MacHamster68, Where can I find this wrist rest?

11. MacHamster68, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

in the uk you can get them there
    http://www.healthyofficeworking.co.uk/

just send them a email they might know of a dealer near you , they have lots other ergonomic aids too

i can highly recommend those wrist /arm rests they make it much more comfortable if you work for long hours in front of the computer as they take most if not all the strain of your wrists and hands ,
    they are only not that widely available, because there are still lots of people to proud to use those little ergonomic helps , but i say better one of those things on your desk
    then having to deal with Carpal tunnel syndrome one day

12. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Apple and ergonomic are two different language. They design it for eye pleasing, comfort and ergonomic are their 10th priority when they design something.

Like other said. Trackpad and logitech/microsoft mouse are the best combo. 70% mouse + 30% trackpad usage should be ideal.

While having magic trackpad and magic mouse on one desk is your free ticket for carpal syndrome :p