Track pad or Magic Mouse for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TOpeakTOP, Jun 4, 2014.

1. TOpeakTOP macrumors newbie

I'm getting a MacBook Pro this weekend and I don't know if I should get a trackpad or Magic Mouse with it (can't afford both).
    I'm starting adult college next week to learn Graphic and Web Design so I will be using Adobe programs a lot such as Photoshop, InDesign etc.
    I prefer a mouse over any native trackpad built into a laptop but I've heard some great things about the separate trackpad being superior to the mouse. I'm confused. What would your advice be?

Many thanks.

[​IMG]

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

If you're doing graphic design, I would say get the Magic Mouse!

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree. I had a Trackpad and found it very cumbersome for something like moving the cursor quickly over to an area of a photo and say drawing a loop around it. It just does not work very well for that kind of fine control.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I have always preferred a mouse over a trackpad. That said, I'm currently using a trackpad solely due to physical constraints. I had shoulder surgery and I found the trackpad easier to use left handed than the mouse. Once my shoulder is back to normal function, I will be switching back to the mouse.

5. BeeJee macrumors 6502

There's no point in buying another trackpad right off the bat if you can't afford both. Since you're getting the MBP you're already going to have the track pad. Besides, when I was heavy into Photoshop the Magic Mouse was a godsend over the trackpad. I am in no way saying the MM is the best on the market, I've had three fail on me out of nowhere.

6. bootz macrumors member

My first Mac ever was the first 15" MBP with Retina. I tried different combinations - External trackpad with external keyboard, etc. I ended up sticking with the built-in keyboard and built-in trackpad due to the layout. In my business I need to be on the keyboard a lot, so having the trackpad right below the keyboard was the best layout.

I would try the Macbook without any other accessories for at least a week and see how it goes. I've been mouse-free for two years and am loving it :cool:.

7. ross7777 macrumors member

Is there any better mouse for the Mac than the Magic Mouse?

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Depends on what you need to do. The Magic Mouse lacks programmable buttons that some mice have which is good for graphic designers and such.

9. krawfo macrumors regular

Not really. I've been using MagicPrefs for a while and it's works pretty well.

http://magicprefs.com/

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There is software to add programmable functions to the Magic Mouse. However, other mice have hardware programmable buttons that some people like graphics designers like. I personally use a Magic Mouse with my PowerMac G5 and I love it!