Track pad weirdness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TitanJeff, May 4, 2010.

1. TitanJeff macrumors regular

TitanJeff

I have an older MacBook Pro running system 10.4.11.

Yesterday, I started having strange trackpad behavior where it will sometime act as if I double-clicked when I only clicked once. So I'm highlighting everything until I double click again. Then, I sometimes have to double-click in places a single-click is supposed to work such as closing windows.

I've rebooted, adjusted a track pad settings and don't know what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

2. molokaimac macrumors newbie

RE: Track pad weirdness

If your battery is located directly below the track pad try this. Pull out the battery and restart without the battery. Does the track work? Quite possible the battery has overheated. Place the battery on a flat surface to see if it has bulged. I'll see if I can post some pictures of what has happened to me.
    Rick

3. TitanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

TitanJeff

I've played around with it some more.

If I am close to the base of the pad (near the clicker), the track pad goes bonkers. If I stay at the top, it works better. Plugging a mouse in works normally.

I'll check out the battery issue. Thanks.

4. molokaimac macrumors newbie

RE: Track pad weirdness

Jeff,
    You've probably tried a PRAM reset. I'll look to see if any of my coworkers have had a similar problem. It may take a few days to get back to you.
    Rick

5. TitanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

TitanJeff

Yeah. Zapped that pram first thing. No help.

I heard that dirt might cause some issues. I try to keep it clean but can't guarantee that something didn't get down in there.

6. molokaimac macrumors newbie

Anything?

Sorry I didn't get back to you. No one at work has experienced that type of problem. We all have MBP a 17, three 15s and a couple of 13s of various years. ifixit.com has some good tear down procedures for most problems.
    Good luck,
    Rick