Tracking a facebook post from an I phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justiceseeker, Nov 23, 2010.

1. justiceseeker macrumors newbie

This is an ongoing criminal investigation. A subpoena was issued to ATT to track an IP address and ATT says they delete those daily. Facebook provided activity logs. Is there any other info such as a unique identifier that can be used to track who owns this i phone?

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I think your asking in the wrong place bro, if there's a supposed subpoena, contact Apple.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

One of the IPs provided by facebook may have not been an ATT IP but one from a wireless network. In which case the ISP should be able to tell you what location thats from.

Hopefully the IP will be a house.

They may not use wifi in which case you would need to push ATT. That seems odd that then delete the logs daily....

4. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

a) pretty sure this OP wants info more for personal use/stalking someone

b) Openly discussing evidence/details in an open case can invalidate it

c) You should be e-mailing facebook not posting in a iPhone forum

5. justiceseeker thread starter macrumors newbie

Wrong. The victim is my daughter and the police have little experience in this area. therefore I am doing my own research to try and figure this out.

6. jlw2387 macrumors member

Don't think you will find a whole lot of help here, you should be talking to lawyers and such.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If AT&T, the police and Facebook wasnt much help what do you really expect from this forum?
    What are you trying to do anyway, track a lost/stolen iphone?

8. fender57 macrumors 6502

Which country do you live in where the police have less experience than a Mac forum?

9. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

He's right. If this is an investigation of some sort, you need to stop posting any type of information here, and keep it all in the legal channels. If you do find whoever did whatever, and you sue them, if their counsel finds a thread on a random website where you have posted/gotten information about the investigation, you're hosed.

You should speak to a lawyer.

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

thank you for confirming all of my points

only a stalker/vigilante/complete amateur would be foolish enough to ask this question in a public forum

there are reasons/laws why only the proper authorities are allowed to access private information

do you realize, that even if it was a complete guess, such as an ip adress of 123.123.123.01. if that ip adress was posted in a public forum, without the proper procedure/warrant/consent of disclosure/etc any information gained from that bit of information would be unadmissable as evidence in criminal trial?

but I'm sure Sherlock Holmes here is clearly more trained than a private investigator :rolleyes:

11. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r