Tracking Cookies

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Koslova, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Koslova macrumors newbie

Disturbed to see the result of a macscan, 17 tracking cookies on my machine. Are these tracking cookies dangerous, what are they doing there anyway and who put them there. Finally should I be considering installing an antivirus and if so what. I always thought macs were immune to invasions, or are the time a changing.
    Koslova

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

macscan... ha. Don't put too much stock into it.

cookie != virus.

They're from websites you've surfed to. If you don't want them, just remove all your cookies via your web browser's interface.

And finally, nothing is immune, it's just unlikely.

3. Koslova thread starter macrumors newbie

Cookies sound like biscuits, virus something quite different, but if a cookie can drop in on my system unannounced, from a website surfed, hide on the system and watch the machines activity, how easy can a virus. But many thanks for the reassurance, as paranoid is my middle name.
    Koslova

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Every web browser uses cookies. It's how they store information about when you were last there, what your username & password is to particular websites, and what your preferences are.

I'm just saying that MacScan has never done anything for anyone other than feed FUD and paranoia.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can turn off cookies (but many sites will not function properly).

Safari:
    Preferences / Security

Change your option for
    Accept cookies to NEVER