tracking down rogue files from final cut

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by benmeac, Oct 18, 2008.

1. benmeac macrumors newbie

Hi all, i've got a g4 mac book that once had final cut ver 2.0 academic on it. Before i was given the laptop it was very corrupted and was serviced. To reinstall a new version 2.0, Final cut says it needs 40 or so gigs to load. the g4 says it has only 28 or so gigs available. currently the software apps only account for less than 10 gigs. i've been told that final cut make and stores copies of rendered files in a folder, i think this is the culprit of the missing gigs. any ideas on how i could run a search query to find the folder which seems to be hidden deeply in the laptop?

2. mtfield macrumors 6502

I don't believe final cut hides files... Usually each project creates files and stores them where you tell it to (scratch disk.) Don't you have any other files on your computer that could account for your lack of space (itunes or iphoto) both can be storage hogs

3. benmeac thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx, i found an app online to wipe out all final cut files, this freed up another 12 gigs. still about 12 off my goal. i think both of those, I photo and the other i-program are installed, is there an app to do the same clean sweep? i read that "trashing" final cut pro wouldn't delete all the associated files. Does this hold true for all installed mac programs? By hidden files i was referring to a possible separate partition in the drive. Sorry tech stuff is not my forte, any tips on how i can run a query search to find what the biggest files are and their location, and if there is another partition, thanks so much

4. mtfield macrumors 6502

could you give me some info about this app? Where did you find it? I wouldn't mind seeing what fcp was hiding... as for the other ilife programs I really wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong...

5. mtfield macrumors 6502

Just to clarify when people say that trashing an app won't delete all the files that is true, but to an extent... if you delete a program that way there might be a few user files and plist left... to get rid of those delete the programs with an app called "appcleaner" and that will delete all the associated files. hope this helps