MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

According to the Chitika Labs iPad tracker, over one million iPad devices are now estimated to be in use on the Internet, suggesting that Apple may have surpassed a major milestone less than a month after the device's launch and before 3G-capable models even go on sale later this week.

134554-chitika_one_million_ipads.jpg

Chitika's iPad tracker gained some fame in the days after the iPad launch as it tried to estimate sales based on devices it was seeing appear on its ad network. Unfortunately, the tracker's early calculations proved to be too optimistic, and the number crunchers there have consequently revised their methodology several times over the past few weeks in order to improve the accuracy of their estimates. So while the fact that there may still be a significant amount of error in Chitika's numbers leads us to express caution about believing these numbers completely, it appears that Apple may be at least in the neighborhood of one million iPads sold.

Article Link: Tracking Site Estimates iPad Sales Have Surpassed 1 Million

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
before 3G-capable models even go on sale
And that's the real kicker to the naysayers. 1 in 300 Americans now own iPads ... and that's ahead of the version which I assume users really want. That's a half-billion dollars in revenue in one month from a new product "nobody wants because it doesn't have a USB/SD port", before the really useful version debuts, and before international sales start (!).

Friday can't come fast enough...

Comment

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
That's a half-billion dollars in revenue in one month from a new product "nobody wants because it doesn't have a USB/SD port", before the really useful version debuts

Those are the idiots who think the iPad is a laptop replacement when its not. Those people kill me.

I cant wait for Friday as well! :D

Comment

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
The iPad will probably become a bigger seller than the iPod over the next couple of years. Even though it will eat into iPod Touch sales the profit margin is much better on the iPad.

Comment

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
I am not believing the numbers coming out of this source. They were quite far off last time. I still think the iPad has a good chance at reaching 1 million before the first gen iPhone did though (74 days).

I would say a more realistic number is 700,000 ish iPad at this point (even that could be high)...

Comment

Alexs45

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
How hard do you think it will be to get the 3G on Friday? I was given the Wifi as a gift and I want to exchange for the 3G!

Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I am not believing the numbers coming out of this source. They were quite far off last time. I still think the iPad has a good chance at reaching 1 million before the first gen iPhone did though (74 days).

I would say a more realistic number is 700,000 ish iPad at this point (even that could be high)...

If you keep track of this website you will notice that they "adjust" their data down each night.

Comment

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
If you keep track of this website you will notice that they "adjust" their data down each night.

Their method is simply flawed. They are reporting over 45k new ipads, while we know for a fact that the sales dropped below 30k long long time ago. At this point likely somewhere between 5k-15k.

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
And that's the real kicker to the naysayers. 1 in 300 Americans now own iPads ... and that's ahead of the version which I assume users really want. That's a half-billion dollars in revenue in one month from a new product "nobody wants because it doesn't have a USB/SD port", before the really useful version debuts, and before international sales start (!).

Friday can't come fast enough...

Has anyone gotten their tracking number yet? I want my 3G iPad:)

Comment

Gold89

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2008
UK
Just like happened with the iPod whining the iPad whiners will have egg on their face.

Comment

shervieux

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
Those are the idiots who think the iPad is a laptop replacement when its not. Those people kill me.

Oh I must be an idiot then. for me, it will be the laptop replacer and my laptop will become my desktop machine. 137 apps and I can do it all. all I need a "real" computer for now is itunes management,Video Editing, mass storage, iweb to manage my website, and to burn CD's / DVD's.

for everything else - there is iPad (well, as soon as omniplan is ported over in the fall - but for now I also have another project manager on the iphone [just it is a little light])

Edit: Was trying to strike through Video Editing. Oh Well. Anyway, I just found a video editing app for the iphone that will be updated for the ipad as well it is called ReelDirector. Exactly the quick editor I was looking for (still looking for an iweb type editor for my website that is created with iweb, looking at bento or fm touch, need to buy the sync client for mobilenoter so that I can have my microsoft onenote notebooks on my ipad / iphone)

Comment

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
YEAH!!! This is awesome. Funny how the haters who said because the ipad didn't have a camera it wouldn't sell well.

I notice they aren't in this thread. They must have stomach aches from eating all of their CROW :cool: :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Comment

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
YEAH!!! This is awesome. Funny how the haters who said because the ipad didn't have a camera it wouldn't sell well.

I notice they aren't in this thread. They must have stomach aches from eating all of their CROW :cool: :apple:
The fact that it is selling big in the first month doesn't take into account the novelty factor or the long term success. In 2 years they might have to give the things away. It is too soon to call this a huge device.

Comment

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

The iPad could most certainly be a laptop replacement for some people. Notice I said some not all. It just depends on how you use a laptop. If you have a nice desktop at home and just need something for Internet, email, pictures, music and video on the go the iPad makes a lot of sense. If you need to actually produce content on the go then it won't replace it.

Comment

shervieux

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
If you need to actually produce content on the go then it won't replace it.

Oh really, look up (and these are just from my apps, there are 100's more):

Dragon Dictation, Instaviz, Strip Designer, All-in Notes, Comic Touch, FreeMindLite, iDoodleit, iRetouch, iTimeSheetLite, Moe's Notepad, Note Taker, Photoshop.com, Pocket Whiteboard, Project Planner, QuickWord, RainbowNote, SnapDat, Slideshow Builder, Adobe Ideas, Keynote, Mariner Calc, MaxJournal, viJournal, Mariner Journal, Numbers, Pages, Paperdesk, PhotoGene, Stick it - Sticky Notes, TakeNotes, OmniGraffle, Omniplan will be released in the fall - which I will be buying. PLus I have a few music apps (Korg Ielectibribe, iSequence, MobileStudio [has a wav recorder in CD quality].

And those are only MY creation apps. Does not include all my reference apps, web consumption apps, Bible study apps (or apps I use for building my sermons), nor any of my games.

PLus in the apps store, there are HTML and some web editors, etc. Just look under the following categories:

Productivity
Utilities
Business
Photography
Under Finance there is Easy Books

And I am sure there are probably a lot more in development or are just waiting the app store approval process.

Edit: Also just found ReelDirector for video editing.......

Comment

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
Oh I must be an idiot then. for me, it will be the laptop replacer and my laptop will become my desktop machine. 137 apps and I can do it all. all I need a "real" computer for now is itunes management, video editing, mass storage, iweb to manage my website, and to burn CD's / DVD's.

for everything else - there is iPad (well, as soon as omniplan is ported over in the fall - but for now I also have another project manager on the iphone [just it is a little light])

The iPad could most certainly be a laptop replacement for some people. Notice I said some not all. It just depends on how you use a laptop. If you have a nice desktop at home and just need something for Internet, email, pictures, music and video on the go the iPad makes a lot of sense. If you need to actually produce content on the go then it won't replace it.

I didnt mean guys like you. :) I mean the ones that complain that it cant do anything that a laptop can and doesnt have any ports that a laptop has. Its because its not a laptop!! You guys know exactly what you want it for I am with you!

With the right apps this will be a laptop replacement for many people. I cant wait to play with all the photo manipulating programs on the bigger screen. Not to mention watching Netflix.

But yes, by idiots, I meant the haters.

Comment

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
This looks promising.I hope it sells well,one reason being more iPads=bigger market for apps=more choices in apps.
Too bad Macmall estimates May 11 on my 3G:(
Oh well,that's that much more time for developers to work their magic.

Comment

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Given that the number was officially at 500k after the first week (per apple), and that there have been another 16 days of sales since then, what do you guys who doubt this tracker think the number actually is, and when do you think it'll really hit 1 million?

In other words, don't just gripe about it being flawed, post your estimates.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.