Tracking users Apple updates?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Sinergi, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Sinergi macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am wondering if it's possible to generate some sort of report to find out what users have failed to install the Java security patch Apple has released through its Software Update?

2. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

What is your management mechanism?

Package receipts would be the best way.

3. Sinergi thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using ARD to manage most of the simple reporting tasks but was quite unsure how to generate a report for outlinning the users that have/haven't installed the latests Java updates.

4. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Not sure about ARD since its a pain in the butt. You could check the following location: /Library/Receipts for a package receipt or you could awk or cut the results from the DB XML in the same location.

5. burne macrumors 6502

burne

You could check what 'java -version' returns? It should be 1.6.0_31 for up-to-date installations, and less for outdated versions.

6. Sinergi thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea burne although trying to generate a report for an individual user seems to take longer than 5-10mins for some reason!

@Mattie, Do you have a snippets of unix that would help pull out results from the installHistory.plist?

7. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Ill work up some code when I get some time. Doing Lion deployments all day :eek:

8. Sinergi thread starter macrumors newbie

Taking your advice, I used grep to search the installhistory file to search if Java 8 (for SL) and Java 2012-003 (for Lion) was installed.

fgrep -B2 "<string>Java" /Library/Receipts/InstallHistory.plist | fgrep -v "<key>"