tracking which apps need deactivating before seeing mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have recently got a new macbook pro of which I got running via a time machine restore from the backup of my previous macbook pro.

When I tried to open and enter the license key for some of my apps, they came up invalid, it has always worked before.

It seems some apps require deactivation before installing on a new mac, problem was I had sold the mac they were previously installed on, and I just wiped its hard drive without going through and uninstalling all the apps by hand.

is there a way of doing a multiple deactivate of software on a computer before selling? or does one have to tediously go through every app?

to add to the hassle, apps have different restrictions as well, some don't need deactivation, some do.

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

There's no easy way. Almost all apps that require you to deactivate before re-using the license require you to use their process. Just another reason why I buy most apps from the App Store.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

so to be safe, should I go through all my apps and uninstall? just move to the trash? would that be enough? or check within all the apps for deactivation options?

thanks, thats all nice and good to get all apps from the app store, but the app store does not have all the software I need, so that part is not helpful.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Best to go through your apps and see which require deactivation. Pain in the butt, but worth the time. I have been there and done that. Most are easy and require nothing. Then there are others like Adobe that require you deactivate.

I keep a list of my software licenses and which programs require deactivation. Once I am done with the deactivation, I wipe the hdd for selling. I never move apps to the trash before wiping drive.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Trashing won't deactivate anything, you will have to go through your non-MAS apps one by one and see what the deal is. Most of those will require a license key re-entering, some of those will limit the licenses and will require deactivation to re-use the license - but there is no way to know which ones without investigating.

6. newellj macrumors 601

• Many newer Adobe program versions (2014ish and later)
    • iStat Menus
    • iTunes

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For the adobe apps, you don't need to deactivate any longer but just sign out of the app and/or Create Cloud.

8. newellj macrumors 601

Depends on program version - I have a mix of Adobe programs that includes some that permit unlimited installations, others that require a deactivation and (as you say) yet others that are sign in/sign out. I don't use any CC apps. In terms of computer management, though, signing out and deactivating amount to the same thing in terms of requiring some user action before selling a machine or wiping the disk.