Trackpad alternatives to Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by John Kotches, Mar 4, 2010.

1. John Kotches macrumors 6502

After many years of using a PeeCee for my personal machine, I've switched over to Mac. I've never been a fan of trackpads for pointers/mice until I purchased my uMBP (2 weeks ago today). The MBP trackpad is the first trackpad I've used and liked.

I have played with the magic mouse a few times, and I just don't like the operation of it. It's too low to the desktop and I'd prefer something that is stationary for "mousing"...

Is there a good trackpad alternative for the desktops that uses identical gestures to the uMBP trackpad? I've seen the Wacom Bamboo family and see that they support gestures -- but I don't know if the gestures are identical between something like this and the uMBPs trackpad.

A little help to a mac newbie would be appreciated.

Cheers,

2. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Sadly there isn't anything that works exactly like the MBP trackpad. The closest you will get is the Wacom Bamboo Touch. It has 2 and 3 finger multi-touch but (when it was released) beyond that as it uses it own drivers, not Apple's.

3. John Kotches thread starter macrumors 6502

Gumby:

Thanks!

Apple should sell them standalone as the "Magic Pad" --- you heard it here first ;)

Cheers,

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

There was actually an article I read about 2-weeks back that showed a patent filing for exactly that - Magic trackpad.

It's funny, every other laptop I've had in the past I would always hook up a mouse. With the MBP, I only hook one up when I do design work. :D

EDIT: I found it: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/26/apple-files-trademark-application-for-magic-trackpad/

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I doubt there would be other companies trying to copy Apples gestures, a lawsuit would be in the works.

6. bcrguy macrumors regular

i have the bamboo pen and touch but i prefer to use the pen part of it.. the gestures are nice on the touch part of it but i dont use it enought.. and it dosent work with jiTouch or bettertouchtool..

7. John Kotches thread starter macrumors 6502

Rkdiddy:

Thanks, that was interesting information.