Trackpad and bottom case scratching screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wwe2008, May 1, 2016.

1. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

I've just turned off my 2015 MacBook and when the screen went off, the light caught it at such an angle that I can see faint scratching on the screen in the shape of the trackpad and the bottom case edge that runs under the keyboard. They are quite faint but I'm sure that this isn't meant to happen, I regularly get an uneven bottom case so maybe this is the cause? Has anyone else got this issue and will apple do anything about it? This will obviously get progressively worse as time goes on and I don't won't it to start affecting the screen when on.
    And whilst I'm on a rant!! Anyone else notice that the keys wear a lot quicker than previous MacBooks? I've had mine since October and never type with greasy fingers through earring etc but even after cleaning the keys are still shiny!

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

That seems odd as if you had an uneven bottom case the curvature of the bottom edge would need to down forcing the KB/TP up to touch the screen where a more torsional distortion you would expect one leading edge being raised and so increasing the gap between screen and KB

However take it back now or at least get the issue logged :)

3. WillemSleegers macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem.

Called Apple and I'm sending it back to get it replaced. I hope it won't happen to the new one, and I'm thinking of getting a small cloth to put in between the screen and the keyboard, even though this shouldn't be necessary.

4. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I will contact Apple and see what they say! Can I ask how old your MacBook was when you replaced it?

5. WillemSleegers macrumors newbie

Actually... I received mine last Thursday. So getting it replaced was very easy since I was still within my two week return period. The shocking thing is that within this time period I could already see the screen getting damaged...

6. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

Even something as thin and simple as a piece of paper between the trackpad and screen will help to take the edge of the trackpad and prevent any further damage until you see what Apple is going to do. Good luck!

7. WillemSleegers macrumors newbie

So I got my replacement for about a week now and I am again seeing some screen damage identical to my first MacBook. Is this really infrequent and I'm just unlucky, or are others also having this but not reporting it?

8. WillemSleegers macrumors newbie

After a call with Apple support I can confirm that according to them it is a known problem.

9. WillemSleegers macrumors newbie

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I would bet that seal around the display is not installed correctly. As the seal should stand proud of the lid & glass by approximately 1/32" it`s not much, however it does provide a cushion and prevents the glass contacting the keyboard or chassis.

I travel globally for work purpose, and don't baby my rMB, it just goes in the bag with my other gear in a sleeve, and no marks on the display after 11 months of use.

Q-6

11. WillemSleegers macrumors newbie

Glad to hear that, gives me some hope!