Trackpad and button fail

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NinjaHERO, Jun 1, 2009.

1. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Hello all. I consider this the best place to ask apple questions. So hopefully someone will know what is wrong with my mac and tell me if there is a way to fix it. I have an Ibook g4.

About a year ago my trackpad and button would occasionally not work when the computer was initially turned on. I can click the button and run my finger over the pad but the cursor does not respond. Also if I put the computer to sleep I have a one in ten chance of causing this problem. I bought a USB mouse and plugged it in and with that I can control the cursor just fine.

This non functioning trackpad problem used to crop up once a week or so. Now it is happening almost daily. I have recently discovered that if I close the lid and reopen and end sleep mode, I can sometimes restore the trackpad. Normally this takes a dozen or so attempts.

Any idea if this is a software issue or a hardware issue. Last September I paid apple for a complete repair of my mac. It was some deal for 220 at the genius bar and they promised to fix everything they find wrong. I got a new harddrive and logic board out of the deal.(great deal for me I think) But they didn't find anything wrong with the pad. So I am thinking software.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Do you update your firmware to the current version regularly? If you do, I doubt it's a software problem. Haven't heard of software causing this bug yet, anyway. If you really think so you can try a clean re-install, but I think it's the hardware, take it into apple and have them do something about it soon.

3. NinjaHERO thread starter macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

yeah, I always keep my OS up to date. Apple said they have no idea what it is. And of course I can never get it to replicate at the genius bar. :(

Also I did a complete wipe and reinstall because they changed out my harddrive. Still have the same problem.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I'm so disillusioned with the service at the genius bars that I wouldn't put it past them to suspect the trackpad, but not tell you about it in order to save themselves some trouble. Might sound a bit like a conspiracy theory, but I've been told utter bullsh!! by 'geniuses' once too often.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

yeah i hate the geniuses too. they're a little too self-righteous for my tastes.

6. NinjaHERO thread starter macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

To be fair their job title is Genius....imagine what that does to a young psyche..:D