Trackpad and cursor freeze (likely mechanical)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crapple33, Oct 7, 2011.

1. crapple33 macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm working with a refurbished early 2008 MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo, running the latest version of Lion. Here's the problem:

Occasionally, my cursor will freeze up. Sometimes, I can fix it by closing my computer and opening it back up again (a.k.a. putting it to sleep for a second). Sometimes I can't. Always, though, restarting the computer fixes the problem. Sometimes it won't happen for days, sometimes it happens a few times a day, sometimes a few times an hour...

I installed some custom stuff in the computer, for which I had to temporarily detach the keyboard connector from the motherboard. I think there's some kind of cable loose, but I'm not sure which one... Another symptom that makes me think this: my caps lock key will sometimes randomly flicker on and off. Also, I've noticed it's worse when my computer's on a soft surface, like my bed, compared to using it on a table or something.

My question is, what cable would this be, and how should I fix it? I don't want to take it to a computer store because I know they'll charge me just to look at it, and I'm pretty sure I can fix it myself if I just know where to look. Any ideas?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

If I remember correctly, the early 2008 is pre-unibody, so the top case comes off to open the machine, which means there's just the one cable that connects the top case (keyboard, trackpad, bluetooth) to the logic board, and it's effectively a USB cable. If that's what it is, then your keyboard should be going out too. Is it?

3. crapple33 thread starter macrumors member

whoops, yes, i should have mentioned, when this happens, my keyboard also stops responding. so you think i should check on that cable? maybe it's loose or something?

4. rachel816 macrumors newbie

Same thing is happening to me about every 20 minutes or so. It just started doing it today. I have a late 2008 MPB. When it becomes unresponsive, I can still move the mouse around and type cmd+alt+esc to bring up the Force Quit window. But that's about it. It doesn't look like my computer is frozen when it happens though - the cursor will still blink. I just can't click on anything and can't type anything. It usually lasts for about 15 seconds, and then I'm able to click/type again. Very annoying!

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

This sounds like a bad top case. If you hook up an external keyboard and mouse, they'll likely work.

----------

Yup.